Rosemary Lemon Roasted Turkey made with infused rosemary-lemon olive oil, garlic and stuffing.
By the show of hands, how many of you argue with Mom about how to roast a turkey?!
OH good! I’m not alone.
She just won’t let it go.
First, I get a call from my dad and he tells me that the Orthodox Nativity Fast starts on Thanksgiving Day therefore Thanksgiving Dinner is a no-go. Okay, I said, come by my house a few days before and we can gobble up that turkey a day or two prior. Cool.
Plans were made, I had a turkey, and all mom had to do was watch the kids for 2-3 hours…
Did she?!? (?!?!?!?!) NO!
The lady sat right above me almost the entire time watching every move I made with this bird. I’m quoting her; “Ummmm… you’re not going to tent that foil? Ummmm… you’re not going to start the oven at 500? Ummmm… you should butter her up a bit more.”.
OH-EM-TO-THE-GEE. God Bless her, I love her to death, of course, but geeeeeez, she’s opinionated.
Somehow, I still managed to make this beautiful turkey my way.
To be honest, I have yet to cook a 20-pounder, which is what my Mom always does and that is why her method is a bit different. I don’t go beyond 10-pounds. I feel anything bigger than that is going to go to waste… well, unless you’re feeding over 20 guests, then I guess it’s a good idea to have a large bird. And, yes, I do love the Leftover-Turkey Frittata and the leftover turkey and cranberry quesadillas, but truth be told, after 3 days of turkey, everyone is pretty much done with it and anything left in those plastic containers goes straight to the garbage. I don’t like to throw away food – I’m cheap.
So, if your bird is a baby like mine, this is definitely the recipe for you. If you like stuffing inside the turkey, this recipe is for you. If you like your turkey juicy, herby, and citrusy, again, this is the recipe for YOU.
One last thought – don’t be scurred, it’s just a bird.
P.S. Come back tomorrow for my awesome Sweet Potato and Cranberry Stuffing. It’s beyond!
P.S.S. Scroll down and enter to win a $100 Target Gift Card! GOOD LUCK!
Rosemary Lemon Roasted Turkey
- 1 10- pound turkey , completely thawed
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups ready-made stuffing , divided (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into 6 pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- lemon peel and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Set a rack at the lowest position in the oven.
- Prepare turkey by adding salt and pepper inside large cavity.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of stuffing inside large cavity.
- Add the rest of the stuffing inside smaller cavity.
- Separate the skin from the breast meat with your fingers, starting at the top of the breast and sliding to the right and left, then working down.
- Arrange the pieces of the cut-up butter onto the meat under the skin.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wing tips under.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine olive oil, garlic, lemon peel and rosemary; heat over medium-low heat and cook until hot.
- Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice all over turkey.
- Season entire turkey with salt and pepper.
- Brush turkey all over with 1/2 of the infused olive oil.
- Place in oven and roast turkey for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to 375.
- Add water to pan, tent foil over turkey and continue to roast for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Brush turkey with remaining infused olive oil every 30 minutes.
- Transfer turkey to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before cutting.
Welcome to the A Night Owl November Sponsor Giveaway!
Just in time for holiday shopping! Today the sponsors and friends of A Night Owl are joining up to bring you an amazing $100 Target Gift Card Giveaway! And we all KNOW you love Target, so what are you waiting for? Enter today via the Rafflecopter form below!
Open in the USA and Canada.
Ends at 11:59pm EST on Sunday, December 1st, 2013.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: this giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents ages 18 and over and ends at 11:59pm EST on December 1st, 2013. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. Number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Approximate retail value is $100.00. One winner will be selected. This is a giveaway sponsored as a group buy, which means the bloggers pooled their money together to purchase this product for you. All liabilities and responsibilities with product is directly responsible by Target. Winner will drawn by random.org from all verified entries, contacted by email provided, and announced on this page at the end of the contest. Winner has 48 hours to respond or prize will be redrawn. Entrant is responsible for the email address they provide, whether through typing it directly or through the Facebook entry method. A Night Owl is not responsible for lost or misdirected emails. All prizes will be awarded. No prize substitutions allowed. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook and we hereby release Facebook of any liability. Information is provided to A Night Owl, not to Facebook and your information is never sold or shared. Facebook and Target are not a sponsor of this giveaway. Prize is mailed or emailed directly by Kimberly Sneed of A Night Owl and requires confirmation of delivery. Protected tweets do not count as an entry method for tweeting. Tweets must come from a public account. Bloggers in this group giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.