Creamy Pumpkin Soup makes a great starter for your Thanksgiving meal.
Let’s talk about pumpkin! Because, you know, we haven’t talked about it enough these past few weeks…
Don’t you think it should be pumpkin season all year-round? Where do I sign for that? Do I ask Congress about these things?!
My newest pumpkin obsession is this Pumpkin Soup. I know it’s just soup, but you haven’t had this soup. Apart from it being one of the best starters of our Holiday meals, this time around I got to make it even better, and healthier, because I made this delicious soup with Pacific Foods Organic Pumpkin Puree.
I recently received a box of goodies from Pacific Foods, including Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Simply Stock, their Jellied Cranberry Sauce, as well as the Pumpkin Puree.
What surprised me about their Pumpkin Puree is that it comes in a Tetra Pak carton! Did you know foods packaged in cartons are way better for the enviroment? AND! The unique packaging process preserves the flavor and nutrients of food without the use of preservatives! Isn’t this how food was intended to be?!
Do you have any idea just how many different food products come in a carton? Among many other options, I was surprised to see ready-to-eat Mac and Cheese and Refried Beans. To add, Tetra Pak® cartons are made of 70% paper, a renewable resource, from selectively harvested, re-grown trees that are FSC-certified (Forest Stewardship Council).
More fun facts:
- Cartons use 1/3 of the packaging compared to cans…or even an egg!
- Cartons are space saving, easy to store and open. Keep your pantry neat and toss your can openers. , stackable and space saving.
- The unique packaging process preserves the flavor and nutrients of food without the use of preservatives.Product quality is exactly the way it was intended to be.
- Recycleable and in fact result in 60% less landfill waste than cans
- Cartons are re-closable so you can use what you need and save the rest for later.
Now about that GIVEAWAY! For a chance to win a $500.00 VISA GIFT CARD & a $500.00 DONATION to a charity of your choice, please leave a comment telling us your small, smart recipe that uses ingredients in cartons, or just share a “smart” entertaining tip that produces great tasting food with very little waste.
For Official Rules, please click over to http://socialspark.com/carton-smart-rules.
Entrants will be selected by the Sponsor using Random.org from the eligible pool of entries.
Contest ends on January 1, 2014 at 11:59 P.M. EST.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large carrot , thinly sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 (16-oz) Carton Pacific Foods Organic Pumpkin Puree
- 1 (8-oz) Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Melt butter over medium-low heat.
Add diced onion, minced garlic and sliced carrots.
Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in pumpkin puree.
Add chicken stock and season with dried thyme and garlic powder.
Bring to a boil; lower to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in heavy whipping cream.