Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas – Flour Tortillas filled with turkey sausage, green onions, peppers and cheese, covered in a creamy egg batter and baked. A delicious breakfast casserole that can be prepped the night before and baked the next day!
Hey Hey!! Happy Happy Sunday, buddy! Wassup?! Or do you prefer the chill and collected version, ‘sup, with a head-nod?
Remember that Budweiser commercial where a bunch of dudes get on the phone and just scream, Waaaazzzzzuuupppp!!! Still makes me LOL just thinking about it.
This would be a good time to tell you that I enjoy watching commercials. A lot. I know, so weird, right? BUT in my defense, think about that new one where a couple starts dancing to the song, “I had the time of my Life“! OH my G! I was rolling on the floor the first time I saw it. Freakin’ hilarious! I’m LOL-ing hard just telling you about it! 😀
Okay, so I’ll shuddup. But first let me tell you about today’s breakfast, m’kay? Just gimme a minute to lick the final cheesy tortilla crumbs off my fingers.
You know those times when you just have way too many eggs in the fridge and making Macarons is jut not going to happen? Nor a cake? Because you just don’t feel like sitting in the kitchen, prepping desserts all day long? (I was lazy.) Okay so that was me last weekend. I had a couple dozen eggs and decided to take care of 6 of ’em by making our favorite Breakfast Enchiladas.
The best-est thing about this recipe? Making it the night before and just popping it in the oven the next day. LIFE-SAVER! Maybe that’s giving it too much credit. Maybe not a life saver, but a brunch saver for a crowd of 6 IT is!
Uhm, question. Are they still considered enchiladas even though there’s no enchilada sauce in there?!? I like enchilada sauce, I just didn’t want to include it in here. I DID skinnify them a bit! Does that make up for it?? Are we okay with that? I hope. Fingers crossed!
‘Cause, Sausage Links + Peppers + Green Onions + Eggs + Cheese + Toppings = Dang amazing breakfast food!
Try it. I think you’ll approve!
P.S. Makes a great BRINNER!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12-ounces) Turkey Sausage Links, cut up into about 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 4 green onions , sliced, white parts only (slice the green parts for garnish)
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 can (4-ounces) diced green chillies
- 10 (7-inch) whole wheat, low carb flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese , divided (reserve 1/2-cup for topping)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2- cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- Fat-Free Sour Cream , for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , quartered, for garnish (optional)
- 1 avocado , sliced, for garnish (optional)
- diced green peppers , for garnish (optional)
- cilantro or parsley , for garnish (optional)
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add sausage; cook for 6 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until peppers are slightly tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in chilies.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture down the center of each flour tortilla and 2 tablespoons of the cheese.
- Roll up and place the filled tortillas, seam side down, in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine eggs, heavy cream, milk, flour and chili powder; mix on low for 1 minute, or until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tortillas.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake the enchiladas, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/2-cup cheese over the top and continue to bake for 3 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes.
- Optionally, garnish with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, avocado, green peppers and cilantro or parsley.
- Cut and Serve.
You can bake the enchiladas without letting them sit overnight.
WW SmartPoints: 10
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy