I know. You don’t have to tell me. I should have been a hand-model. I make Lasagna Dip look incredibly elegant. Totally missed my calling. 😛
As you may know, there are countless reasons why I love dips. Peanut Butter Banana Dip, anyone? Sweet, savory, hot and bubbly – love ’em all! But not just because they taste good. I mean of course because they taste good, but I love them a tad bit more because they are so convenient.
Typical example to follow.
Bob, the neighbor, came by last week and sorta, kinda, invited himself and wifey over for a beer. Or a case. “No problem! Come on Over!”, said-my-husband-the-one-that-doesn’t-even-know-if- there’s-even-a-potato-chip-in-the-pantry-that-I-could-offer-these-nice-people.
I had all of 30 minutes to prepare; that is 30 minutes to clean up the toy-covered floor, wipe the table, fluff up those pillows, comb my hair, and whip up a couple of appetizers. Thank the Lawwwwwd I have a food blog because my fridge and my pantry are always full, and I am able to come up with something rather quickly.
These awesome neighbors of mine thought I was speaking in a different language when I said, and here is some Lasagna Dip to go with those delicious Almond Nut-Thins Crackers. (By the way, I am obsessed with those crackers. Obsessed!)
“Say what now?”, said the lovely wifey. I said, “Lasagna in the form of a dip to go with your crackers”. She hesitated, dipped in, and then asked for the recipe. I told her to tune into Diethood next Wednesday, which would be today, and she will get the recipe. Hi, Gloria!!! *waving*
You will find that there’s everything in here that a regular lasagna has minus the lasagna pasta sheets. And instead of ricotta, I use cream cheese. But I don’t use ricotta in a regular lasagna, either. I like to use cream cheese or bechamel sauce, like I did here with my Lasagna Bolognese.
I also like to add sharp cheddar cheese to the mozzarella cheese topping – I like the extra oomph that the bit of sharpness adds to the dip. Well, yes, parmesan cheese adds a bit of sharpness, too, but I happen to like cheddar. M’kay?
I really encourage you to make this cheesy, beefy, warm and cozy, absolutely delicious Lasagna Dip. You can even serve it with these Garlic and Cheddar Drop Biscuits and call it dinner! I have. It’s like super awesome with the biscuits. Or those almond nut-thins I told you about – they are so, so good. Or just spoon it into your mouth, like I do.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms , cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freeze dried basil
- butter for baking dish
- 8- ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the sliced onion; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add beef and season with salt, pepper, oregano and basil; continue to cook until meat is browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce and cook for 3 minutes.
- Grease a round 8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Spread the cream cheese on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the meat mixture over the cream cheese, and top with mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm.
WW SmartPoints: 14