Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting – One-bowl, fluffy and rich chocolate cupcakes made with sour cream and topped with a delicious chocolate frosting.
Totally predictable and certainly expected. I mean, what else do food-loving people talk about the day after Super Bowl-Food?
Valentine’s Day-Food, of course!
Also? It’s Monday and cupcakes make Mondays waaaay easier to deal with.
Hey, pals!! How was last night?!? Did your team win?!? I hope so!!
BUT if they didn’t, just look at it this way; unless it was your son, husband, brother, nephew, grandson? (…am I missing a role?) You shouldn’t care. Fo’ reals. They make millions of bucks, and you, the fan, just loses nerves and sleep. And your health. AND a bet.
Cupcakes, anyone? They’re stress relievers.
I live with a tall, dark and handsome chocoholic. I’ve mentioned this fact on a few occasions. However, his choco-addiction completely works out in my favor.
For instance, those SJP shoes? I bought ’em, he FUH-REAKED out at the price, I made him chocolate cupcakes, he forgot about my shoes. Sweet victory.
I need you to know that these. are. YUMMY. I made them with sour cream! Do you know what that means? Tender. Rich. Fluffy… (I’m trying reaaaallllyyy hard not to say “MOIST”!)
I ate 2 cupcakes as soon as I spread that chocolate frosting on top. After a loooong session on the treadmill, I had 1 more. The third one I had was without the frosting… balance.
And speaking of… you should know that a standard, bakery chocolate cupcake can be around 500 calories! Yes, their cupcakes are bigger, but only about 1/4 bigger than homemade cupcakes.
On the other hand, THESE deviled little cupcakes are only 135 calories per serving. INCLUDING the chocolate frosting. SO… you make the choice.
I also cannot keep my face more than one inch away from these beauties.
And there’s only one left.
Eating. It. Now.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 3/4- cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2- cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1/2- cup sour cream
- 1/2- cup semisweet chocolate chips , chopped
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar or superfine sugar
- 2/3- cup sour cream
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In your mixer's bowl combine flour, baking soda, brown sugar, cocoa, eggs and butter.
- Using your mixer fitted with a whisk, beat ingredients together until smooth.
- Using a spoon, fold in the sour cream until combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into previously prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and transfer the cupcakes to cooling racks.
- In the meantime prepare the Chocolate Frosting.
- Set up a double boiler by setting a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Add chopped chocolate chips to the glass bowl and heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let stand 2 minutes.
- Whisk in sugar and sour cream; whisk until combined.
- Spread frosting over the cooled cupcakes and let set in the refrigerator before serving.
- Top with chocolate shavings and serve.
WW SmartPoints: 10
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy