Spinach Artichoke Creamy Penne Pasta – Sauteed spinach and artichoke hearts are tossed with penne pasta and smothered in a cheesy and garlicky cream sauce.
Today calls for PASTA!
Let’s entertain my old/new obsession; everything-spinach-artichoke.
On a scale from WHOA! and WHOOOOOOA!, this pasta dish was WHOOOOOOOOOOOA! 11-O’s to be exact.
Creamy, garlicky, cheesy…goodness. I can still taste it. Spinach and Artichokes were meant to be. They are like Mike and Boner. Brenda and Dylan. Wayne and Garth!
… I desperately need to leave the ’90s …
I am in a major spinach/artichoke infatuation. Knee deep. It just tastes so good because, no matter how I incorporate the two, it always tastes like I’m eating a big fat bowl of Spinach and Artichoke Dip.
By the wayz, have you tried my Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza??? You must! It’s SO GOOD!
However, this recipe is a result of me standing in the kitchen, with the fridge door(s) wide open, trying to figure out what to do with spinach, lotta cheese, and a can of artichokes…
The end product? This dish! It left us speechless. Not because we didn’t have anything to say – oh no, we ALWAYS talk – but because we didn’t want to come up for air. It was stuff-your-face fest. Quite entertaining, to be honest.
It would probably be a great idea for you to go and make this today. It comes together rather quickly. Cook the pasta, cook the spinach, sautee the artichokes, make the sauce – done! 30 minutes, give or take. Best Sunday dinner.
- 1/2- pound penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 bag (9-ounces) fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 can (14-ounces) artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- salt and fresh pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for garnish
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in spinach and continue to cook until wilted; about 2 minutes.
- Place cooked spinach in a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add artichokes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Place artichokes in the bowl with spinach and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Whisk in milk, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and whisk until completely melted.
- Slowly add cooked pasta, spinach and artichokes; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with grated parmesan and red pepper flakes.
- Serve warm.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 17
MORE SPINACH RECIPES:
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy