Spinach Artichoke Creamy Penne Pasta – Sauteed spinach and artichoke hearts are tossed with penne pasta and smothered in a cheesy and garlicky cream sauce.
Today calls for PASTA!
Let’s entertain my old/new obsession; everything-spinach-artichoke.
On a scale from WHOA! and WHOOOOOOA!, this pasta dish was WHOOOOOOOOOOOA! 11-O’s to be exact.
Creamy, garlicky, cheesy…goodness. I can still taste it. Spinach and Artichokes were meant to be. They are like Mike and Boner. Brenda and Dylan. Wayne and Garth!
… I desperately need to leave the ’90s …
I am in a major spinach/artichoke infatuation. Knee deep. It just tastes so good because, no matter how I incorporate the two, it always tastes like I’m eating a big fat bowl of Spinach and Artichoke Dip.
By the wayz, have you tried my Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza??? You must! It’s SO GOOD!
However, this recipe is a result of me standing in the kitchen, with the fridge door(s) wide open, trying to figure out what to do with spinach, lotta cheese, and a can of artichokes…
The end product? This dish! It left us speechless. Not because we didn’t have anything to say – oh no, we ALWAYS talk – but because we didn’t want to come up for air. It was stuff-your-face fest. Quite entertaining, to be honest.
It would probably be a great idea for you to go and make this today. It comes together rather quickly. Cook the pasta, cook the spinach, sautee the artichokes, make the sauce – done! 30 minutes, give or take. Best Sunday dinner.
Spinach and Artichoke Creamy Penne Pasta
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 9 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts rinsed, drained, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk (I use 2%)
- salt and fresh pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for garnish
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in spinach and continue to cook until wilted; about 2 minutes.
- Place cooked spinach in a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add artichokes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Place artichokes in the bowl with spinach and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Whisk in milk, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and whisk until completely melted.
- Slowly add cooked pasta, spinach and artichokes; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with grated parmesan and red pepper flakes.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
MORE SPINACH RECIPES:
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Parmesan Cups
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
13 comments on “Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Penne Pasta”
Just made this! Excellent middle-of-the-night food;)
haha! 🙂 That’s what I call satisfying the soul! 😀 Glad you enjoyed it!!