Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata – Juicy, flavorful Lemon Pepper Chicken served with a lightened-up piccata cream sauce with capers.
CHICKEN + SAUCE. AGAIN?!
Hey Hey, Happy SunDAY! Wasssup?!? Hope all is well with everyone!
Things are great out here, too, but I’m still grieving my vacay days :(.
You know those times when you come back from a vacation? Yeah…THEM DAYS.
This post is sponsored by STAR FINE FOODS. Thank YOU, friends, for supporting the brands that make Diethood possible!
I think I might have mentioned it a million times already, but we just got back from a very relaxing vacay in Macedonia and I miss it. On the upside, while we were there I ate like a cow and still managed to lose a few elbees! HA! They’ll be back just as soon as October happens, when I dive into a batch of Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls! Shyeah!
Wanna talk about the goods on today’s plate? It’s Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata! LOVE! YUM! NYUM! LOVE! ♥
This recipe was inspired by one of my favorites, Chicken Piccata, but before I get knocked out by a proud Italian for calling this recipe LIGHTer Chicken Piccata because, besides the chicken + capers, I’ll just go ahead and call it Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata. (talk about a run-on sentence! sheeesh!) You’d be surprised how sensitive people are when it comes to their country’s food. I should know – I am ONE of them! 😀
BUT we do have a super good combo going on upinhere. First, capers. Oh how I love theeeee!
Confession: before I knew what capers were, I thought they were lentils. You, too?! No? Okay. But, they sure do have the same texture.
Reality is that capers are immature buds plucked from a caper bush!
So, my besties over at STAR FINE FOODS sent me a jar of them pretty Capers, which have a distinctive sharp flavor, making them a perfect ingredient for our favorite marinades and today’s creamy sauces.
As always, I just wanted to stick a spoon in there and eat ’em up, but I have a family here that’s forever hungry so I decided to share. wah wah wahhhh.
Anyhoo – this barely-30-minute chicken piccata dish – It’s lemony and peppery and smoky and creamy, all in one little bite. All studded with itty bitty capers. It’s like a chicken-dinner dream come true.
It’s quite impossible to not eat all of it in one sitting. Try it!
STAR Capers are available at select Stater Brothers, Smart & Final, Bashas, Supervalu and Costco stores. Also available online – please click HERE.
STAR Original Olive Oil is available at select Walmart, Target, Safeway, Albertsons, Bashas, Stater Bros., Food 4 Less, Raley’s and Save Mart stores and HERE.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh and new content delivered to your inbox!
Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- salt , to taste*
- 1 tablespoon STAR FINE FOODS Original Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons STAR FINE FOODS Capers , drained
- Lightly pound chicken breasts to an even thickness. DO NOT POUND THIN.
- Season chicken with lemon-pepper seasoning and salt, if using; set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add chicken and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly, turning once during cooking.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and keep covered.
- Return skillet to heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk and cornstarch; whisk until incorporated.
- Stir in fresh thyme.
- Pour milk mixture into the skillet and whisk, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the skillet; continue to whisk until thickened and bubbly, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in capers.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
salt* - This is optional as I don't use any salt in this recipe because I find the lemon-pepper seasoning to be salty enough.
WW SmartPoints: 5