Butternut Squash Soup – Simply the BEST EVER Butternut Squash Soup! You’re just a few ingredients away from this incredibly delicious, comforting, and healthy soup.
I feel like serving up a big bowl of soup today. Butternut Squash Soup, that is. Lucky YOU! There’s just something about Butternut Squash + Soup in October. Amirite or am I SO right? Trick question – you’d be correct either way.
Wazzzz up, my friends?? How about them temps? I’m wet and frozen. I hate going outside, I miss summer, I hate the wind, I miss my flip flops.
I am keeping calm by reminding myself of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and NOT about the cold days in between.
Cozying up to that bowl above is also a huge PLUS that comes with the cold seasons. Look at that creaminessssss! And there’s no cream IN it! It’s just the silky, creamy texture of a cooked, blended, and deliciousized butternut squash.
This fall butternut squash soup is straight out of my dreams. It is so absolutely fantastic and it’s been so hard to keep it a secret because of the incredible flavor this big bowl is going to bring you. It’s unreal.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This is honestly so super easy to make.
- Just cut the butternut squash into a bunch of little 2-inch piece chunks.
- Throw it into the pot with the good ol’ soup flavah starters – onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, abc, and xyz.
- You’re going to cook that just until tender; about 14ish minutes.
- Throw it in the blender and give it a whirl.
- Get it back in the pot, pour in some milk or half & half, if you like, and boom! Soup is done, just like that.
Doesn’t that look so dreamy and cozy? Lovely, isn’t it? Thank you, pal!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 1.5 to 2-inch cubes)
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed butternut squash, carrots, celery, onion, and parsley.
- Stir in rosemary and thyme; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for about 12 minutes, or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in the milk or half & half.
- Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
- Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the nutmeg.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve garnished chives and parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
This recipe was originally published on January 27, 2011, and updated with new photos and content on October 25, 2017.