Black and White Meringue Cookies – Sweet, light and crisp, these Meringue Cookies are so wonderful and so delicious, they practically melt in your mouth!
It doesn’t hurt that they’re also ONLY 18 CALORIES per cookie! Ahem…sans chocolate. *clears throat* 30 calories with (ahem) DARK chocolate. Ahem.
HIYA! What’s going awn?! How’s your day so far? I hope ALL is well! At least we made it through Monday!
I’m chillin’ with a cup of Echinacea Tea filled to the rim with honey. I don’t even taste the tea to tell you the truth. Honey and lemons are my *thing*. However, and as of late, there’s been sick people in this house and I will do anything it takes not to catch whatever they’ve got. EWWW! Garlic and Pineapple Juice is next on my list. Mr. Google told me that concoction really works in fighting nasty viruses. I believe him.
He also told me not to talk about Meringue Cookies in February, but what does HE know? Right? We love cookies, ‘specially when calorie-count is barely there! YAAAASSSS!
See them egg whites?! This is where satisfaction begins… in this perfectly whipped egg whites romantically shining on thy whisk.
Don’t listen to me. I’m a baking/cooking nerd. It satisfies my soul.
So I made these cookies right before the start of Lent because, as Macedonian Orthodox tradition goes, you must use up all eggs, and milk, and cheese, and all dang good food the night before the Lenten Fast begins. I figured a couple of egg whites for these Meringues, a few more eggs for a Creme Brulee AND another 3 for my Lemon Crepes was definitely the way to go before closing down all-things-dairy-and-meat for the next 6 weeks.
Side Note: That’s a joke. I am definitely NOT closing it down, but let’s just believe that I am, m’kay? For the sake of my parental unit. Thanx! 😉
I love that these cookies always turn out so darn beautiful! I’m also crushing on the whole black-&-white deal. It’s SO pretty! But more importantly, I LURRRRVE that this recipe comes together with just one bowl and 4 ingredients. I mean, that’s just eeeee-zeeey!
Also? Taking this sweet stuff out of your oven will have your heart singing and toes curling. They’re chocolaty, dreamy, crispy and sweet. AND you have to wait 3 hours before you can bite into one. That part sucks. BUT all delicious things need a little more time, ya know?
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 2 large egg whites , at room temperature
- 1/2- teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2- cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4- cup dark chocolate chips , chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- Arrange two oven racks to divide oven in thirds.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until egg whites are shiny and stiff peaks form. DO NOT overbeat.
- Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Pipe or spoon 24 (2-inch-round) mounds onto previously prepared baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 2 hours, rotating pans halfway through cooking.
- Turn oven off and Cool meringues in oven 40 minutes to 1 hour. (Meringues are done when surface is dry and meringues can be removed from paper without sticking to fingers.)
- Remove from oven and carefully remove meringues from paper.
- Combine chopped chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave for 40 seconds to 1 minute, or until melted and smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate.
- Let any excess chocolate drip off before placing on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Allow to set at room temperature; do not put in the fridge.
- Once set, serve or store in an airtight container.
WW SmartPoints: 2
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy