Chopped apples, avocado, tomatoes, onions and poblano chile tossed in a sweet, refreshing honey-lime dressing.
If you’ve been around these parts for a while, then you might have noticed that I have a thing for salsas. If you are just tuning in for the first time, allow me to introduce you to Avocado Feta Salsa; Orange, Grape and Feta Salsa, and now Apple Avocado Salsa.
Yes, yes. I like salsa.
Here’s another if.
IF things were done my way, I would much rather stuff my belly with Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls and Chocolate Vanilla Eiskaffees. All day long. But because I overdid it a week or two ago, now I’m going to punish us with lighter stuff.
Why couldn’t things like Black Forest Brownies be a part of our recommended daily intake. Geez!
Looks like this weekend is going to be all about balancing out the scale. Blah!
You know what’s cool about this salsa? Well, it’s cool. Like chill. Like cold. And it’s summery. It screams! summer.
Colorful, fresh, real, raw. Doesn’t get healthier than that, my peeps.
I was staring at the couple of Granny Smith’s in my fruit bowl and instead of just reaching over and biting into one, I started to think about apple pies. Surprise! I thought, let’s scratch that idea and healthify this granny.
At first I wasn’t sure about the avocado and the apple together, but when the whole honey-lime dressing came into play, I was game. It had to be done.
Also, exactly how much of this salsa I can spoon into my mouth all at once is a secret. I thank the Lawd nobody was home when I first made this because the whole scene was plain barbaric. I wasn’t even worried about a spoon. My hands were my spoon.
This salsa. Such a good idea. I’m patting myself on the back. Might I add that adding an avocado and a poblano chile to an apple salad can only mean one thing – my palate is all grown up and adult-like. Yay for me!
Get your chopping knives ready and a bag of tortilla chips. Or corn chips.
Apple Avocado Salsa with Honey-Lime Dressing
For the Salsa
- 2 firm tomatoes , diced
- 1 avocado , halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 poblano chile , seeded, diced
- 2 small Granny Smith Apples , cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
For the Honey-Lime Dressing
- 2 limes , juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey (add more if you like it sweeter)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all salsa ingredients in the order listed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice and honey.
- Pour honey-lime dressing over salsa and gently toss it all together.
- Chill for 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips or corn chips.