Oh! Look at that! Feta!!
I admit. Clearly, I have an obsession. I know… it’s another dish with feta. But, this is different.
Okay. No, it’s not. But, let me explain…
This Grilled Chicken with Orange, Grape and Feta Salsa tells me that I am a full-blown grown up.
Back in my single-digits days, even my teen years, I used to think my parents were carrrrrazy for eating feta with grapes. I thought they were losing their marbles. Koo-Koo, I tell ya!
Every time I saw my mom fixing this salsa, I would cringe and do this annoying ‘ewwwwwwwwwwww’ sound. She wanted to slap me silly each and every time. But, I just couldn’t wrap my head around cheese over fruit. That wasn’t happening. And balsamico to top it off! BLAH!
Fast forward to my 30’s and I’m suddenly eating everything I used to say ‘ewwwwwwwwwwww’ to. Except for watermelon. I will never, ever, ever come near watermelon. Ever.
But here’s the funny. My mom thinks that putting this salsa over grilled chicken is totally ewwwwwwwwwww. She thinks I am now losing my marbles. She wanted to slap me silly when I offered her to try it!
I’m 95.5% sure that tomorrow most of you will be grilling, and on that grill there will be some chicken. Right?! Or are you the only hot dogs and hamburgers type?
Come on! Throw some chicken on the grill. Live a little!! 😉
And while that’s on the grill, fix the salsa! This dish can be made while you’re singing your heart out to John Mellencamp’s R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.!!!
What? You don’t do that?! You don’t sing when you cook?!? Oh. Honey. We need to talk… I couldn’t possibly cook or bake without singing my heart out while whippin’ up all these lovely, delicious somethings for you all.
Even right now, as I type, I’m singing out loud “Baby, you a song, you make me wanna roll my windows down and cruuuuuuuise!”
Now, go on. Start belting out some songs and chop up those grapes. And oranges. And onions…
Have fun tomorrow! HAPPY FOURTH! BE SAFE!
Grilled Chicken with Orange, Grape and Feta Salsa
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oranges , peeled, segmented
- 1 cup red grapes , halved
- 1/2 red onion , sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 basil leaves , thinly sliced
- freshly ground peppercorns , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Heat the grill and leave it on medium-high.
- Oil the grates.
- Pound the chicken just enough to even it out; do not pound it thin.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill over direct heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn it over and continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes; check for doneness. Chicken is done when temperature reads 160°F.
- In the meantime prepare the salsa.
- In a mixing bowl combine the fruit, onions, cheese, and basil.
- Season with freshly ground peppercorns.
- Add olive oil and toss together.
- Remove the chicken and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Top with salsa.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar; use very little, just for taste.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.