A delicious Roasted Tomato Soup made with garden fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, and basil.
It’s soupah time! Yes, sou-pah. That’s the way you say “soup” in Macedonian. I haven’t taught you Macedonian in a while so I thought I should throw something easy at ya.
Tell me, is everyone talkin’ pumpkin recipes? I thought I should wait a week or two before I go ahead and post mine. But, I’m ready! Oh boooooy am I ready!! Can’t wait to share! However, if you are itching for some right now, you should definitely start with these Pumpkin Muffins. They are the bestest!
Even so, I still meant to talk about cake today. Or cookies. Somehow I ended up at this lovely Roasted Tomato Soup.
Actually, I know how I ended up here…
Remember last week when I shared my Ricotta and Orzo Stuffed Tomatoes recipe? And I told you about my very generous garden and all the tomatoes it has given us? Well. I’m still working on using up all my tomatoes before they go bad. And I assume I’m not the only one that has 300,000,000 bushels of tomatoes to use up, am I?!? I didn’t think so. 😉 I’m just trying to help out everyone that is in the same boat as me.
This soup is totally a summer-crossing-into-fall type of soup. I mean, you’ve got these awesome summer tomatoes that end up in a roasting pan with garlic and onions. That right there should make you want to pray for cold weather, pajamas, and tomato soup. With a side of grilled cheese… oh. my. YUM! I completely forgot to make some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with this deliciousness!! DUH!
You know what’s best about this? How easy it is to put together. You can probably make it in your sleep. You’re just going to throw a few lovely things in the oven, and then, once they are ready, you will take all that yumminess for a ride in the blender. That’s it. There’s absolutely nothing to this. Just simple, delicious food.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 8 to 10 tomatoes , halved
- 4 garlic cloves , smashed
- 2 small onions , quartered
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
- fresh basil leaves for garnish , optional
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly grease a baking pan or baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl or pot, combine halved tomatoes, garlic, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread tomato mixture on prepared pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender, stirring once or twice during the process.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Transfer roasted tomatoes to a blender and add sliced basil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a soup pot and cook over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Garnish with basil leaves.