HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hope you had a terrific night ringing in 2013!
I know, I know. I have posted 3 days in a row. Are you tired of me, yet?
Lora started Twelve Loaves to inspire us all to start baking bread at home. Of course it’s easier to just stop at the store and get a loaf, but nothing tastes better than homemade. Nothing. I wish I could be like my Baba and start kneading that dough day in and day out, but I’m not. I would rather make macarons or brownies.
But quick breads are a different thing, entirely. I make them all the time.
I made this delicious Loaf for my baby’s first tooth. You see, in our culture everything is celebrated with food. Then again, that’s in every culture, right?
In this case, for a baby’s first tooth, the Mommy has to make a sweet bread called, Turte (Toor-teh). That Turte symbolizes The New Testament —a gift of God to humankind—with the symbolism of wheat. Others also believe that the Turte will bring good luck, strong teeth, and the baby will grow to be a nice, sweet individual.
Interesting, isn’t it? I love it!
I hope you have a few minutes to whip up this sweet loaf; it takes about 10 minutes to prep, the rest is up to the oven.
In the meantime, scroll to the bottom of this post and visit all the talented #TwelveLoaves participants!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, orange juice, oil, and vanilla.
- With a large serving spoon, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the dates and walnuts and continue to mix until well incorporated.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool on a wire rack.