This Vegetable Cobbler with Cheddar Biscuits recipe is a delicious and creamy vegetable dish topped with soft and cheesy cheddar biscuits.
Happy Sunday, you guys! This is my favorite day of the week. I absolutely love love love Sundays!
‘Cept… I truly dislike Sundays once 7 pm rolls around. Suddenly, I’m rushed to get everything done – all the things piled up on the dinner table since Friday – and at that point, I basically hate everyone and everything.
But then, around 9 pm, I’m all like, OH Ok… that wasn’t so bad… but in fact it was!
So is this November-thing really happening? Turkey Day is approaching?? Already!? We’re over a week into November and I’m still in August mode. I already miss Summer…
I also heard that the Polar Vortex is about to reappear … that’s so unfair. Last year during the Polar Vortex we were stuck inside for three days straight. These Blueberry Scones were the only good thing that resulted from that whole ordeal. And a $358.00 charge over at Amazon. I was bored.
VEGETABLE COBBLER: AN EASY VEGETARIAN DINNER IDEA
You see this picture above? This is how we’re going to cure the Vortex blues – with comfort food.
Our 2nd fridge, the one that’s in the garage, is filled with beer and vegetables. What a combo, right? But that’s the way it is. I buy a lot of veggies and some of those beauties have to sleep with the beer.
As I was trying to think of ways to use up some of those veggies, an eggplant and a tomato jumped at me and I couldn’t refuse them. The Vegetable Cobbler was under way.
Usually, when it comes to vegetables, I just throw ’em in the pan and know that the result is never short of greatness. However, eggplant?? Um… eggplant needs a bit of work, don’t you think? It’s a little bitter and kinda boring. But pretty!
Thus, this time around I went just a little overboard with my veggies and topped them with biscuits. Nothing new, I know, but why didn’t I do this sooner? To all my veggies!! This vegetable cobbler stuff is fantastic!
In all honesty, you guys, I couldn’t stop eating this. The first time I made it, I just sat above the stove and ate it straight from the pan. My favorite way to eat just about anything. Dinner plates are so overrated.
Me thinks you need to have this for dinner. It’s warm, it’s comforting, it’s veggie-full and there’s biscuits on top. With cheese.
Vegetable Cobbler with Cheddar Biscuits
For the Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 eggplant , diced
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 fresh tomatoes , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2- cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2/3- cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet.
- Add eggplant, onion and tomatoes; cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl whisk together milk, flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir the milk mixture into the vegetables and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook for 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Transfer the mixture to the previously prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheese and Italian Seasoning.
- Add milk and stir just until moistened.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls over the eggplant-mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
MORE DINNER IDEAS: