Tiramisu – Fool proof recipe for the best Tiramisu recipe ever!
This is possibly the easiest recipe for a Tiramisu. SO simple!
Tiramisu is a popular Italian dessert made of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, and flavored with Amaretto.
Sometimes I whip up something just because.
Other times I whip up that something because the item popped out at me at the market and/or the items were on sale.
That’s how this Tiramisu came about.
I don’t make Tiramisu very often – about twice a year, I would say. Not because I don’t love it, but because I like to make my Tiramisu with ladyfingers, and those are really tough to come by. I don’t know why that is.
This time around the ladyfingers literally landed in front of me. My daughter was reaching for the items on the shelves at the grocery store, and as I was looking for baking powder, she knocked down a few boxes, including a box of ladyfingers.
Normally I would be embarrassed and yelling at her, but because it was a box of ladyfingers I just grabbed it, got excited, and threw it in the cart. And I kinda forgot to tell her not to do that again.
Then things got even better when I saw that one box was only 99 cents! You better believe I stocked up on it. I bought the other 10 boxes that were sitting on the shelf.
But I was soon reminded of the good ol’ saying that states, “if something is too good to be true, then it probably is”…
The expiration date – July 2011. Damn! That’s why they were 99 cents! Of course I didn’t see the expiration date until we got home. ~shrug~
I’ve made two Tiramisus so far. This recipe is the better one.
I am using the rest of the ladyfingers in my homemade Tiramisu ice cream. I will share that recipe as soon as I perfect it. I have some tweaking that I need to do before I post it.
In the meantime, please enjoy this very simple Tiramisu.
NOTE: If you are going to try this recipe, please do not leave out, or substitute, the espresso and amaretto – that is what makes this Tiramisu ammmmmazing!
Tiramisu - Fool proof recipe for the best Tiramisu recipe ever!
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tub 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 20 ladyfingers
- 1 cup cold strong espresso coffee
- 2 tablespoons Disaronno Amaretto
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- chocolate shavings for garnish
In a mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and the sugar over a double boiler. Whisk for 10 minutes, continually.
Cover with plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, fold in the mascarpone cheese.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; Fold into the cheese mixture, blend well.
- In a medium size bowl combine the espresso and amaretto.
- Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee mixture, one at a time, and layer them very close together in a dish.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture evenly over the ladyfingers and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Do another layer of dipped ladyfingers, and top with the remaining mascarpone mixture, then sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings before serving.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 9