Carved apples filled with a mixture of homemade apple cider and rum.
Aren’t these cups the neatest things ever? I love them! I wish I was the genius creator, but I’m not. I’m not that crafty. Wish I was.
But I am the person that lets all the cars cut-in right in front of them. And the person that allows everyone to cut-in even at the grocery store. That’s me. I’m that person!
To pay for my groceries I end up waiting in-line for over 15 minutes because if I see someone with less items, I let them go ahead of me. During that wait I end up adding to my bill because I can’t stop grabbing magazines, mini-sized flashlights, and all other useless, or useful, items that they have near the cash register.
But sometimes those items can result in something interesting, or delicious… That’s the story with these apples.
As I was going through the magazine rack, I picked up one with a title, “Halloween Food, Fun, & Crafts”. Can’t go wrong with a title like that. As soon as I got to page 8, I was in the kitchen cutting up apple tops and pouring shots of rum.
If you have a chance to make these, and I really think you should because they are totally fun, you can leave out the rum for those underagers. 🙂
- 6 apples for the apple cups
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup rum
- cinnamon sticks
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut off the tops of the apples and scoop out the inside, half-way, with an ice cream scooper. Keep the apple scraps for muffins.
- Place the apples on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the apples are cooling, make the cider by combining the apple juice, orange juice, caramel topping, cinnamon, and allspice in a large saucepan.
- Put the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in the rum, and pour into the apple cups.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints: 6
I’m linking these up to Foodbeast. Please check out their site for all food related news.
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!