Thank you, McCormick®, for sponsoring this post! All opinions are always 100% my own.
Healthy, lightened up version of the classic pasta carbonara prepared with delicious zucchini noodles, pan fried pancetta & an irresistible creamy parmesan sauce. A perfect Keto “pasta” dinner!
Zucchini Noodles Pasta Carbonara also known as Zoodles Carbonara! This is my version of the classic spaghetti carbonara, only lightened-up, yet very flavorful thanks to the pancetta, spices, herbs, garlic, and a nice dose of parmesan cheese. I promise, you won’t miss the starchy pasta.
WHAT IS PASTA CARBONARA?
Carbonara is an Italian dish prepared with spaghetti tossed in a rich and creamy sauce with pancetta, or bacon, and cheese. Pasta Carbonara is one of the recipes my husband grew up on and totally, absolutely, completely LOVED. And loves!
However, his new sugar-free, low-carb diet that we talked about recently will not allow him to have his favorite carb-loaded, calorie-packed meal. For that reason, I needed to refresh, revise, and deliver the tastiest version of his favorite grub!
With the help of McCormick’s® Crushed Red Pepper, and McCormick’s® Basil Leaves, this recipe is satisfying, it is a much better-for-you option, and makes keeping healthy resolutions easy without sacrificing flavor.
Boosting the taste of food with McCormick® herbs and spices makes healthy foods taste pretty amazing. They provide fragrance and flavor, and are a must for providing a pleasant and delicious experience.
HOW TO MAKE PASTA CARBONARA WITH ZUCCHINI NOODLES
- We’ve made it clear that starchy pasta is out of the game. Consequently, we are going to whip out our vegetable peeler and create our own pasta noodles with zucchini. Using the vegetable peeler, we will need to slice the zucchini lengthwise into long strips.
- Most important detail to the zucchini strips is to dry them up. To do so, we will lightly salt each “noodle” and arrange each on paper towels for several minutes, then wipe down before we need to use them.
- In the meantime, we’re going to prepare some of that pancetta with crushed garlic and a little butter. When that’s done, the zucchini will be added to the skillet just for a couple minutes before stirring in the creamy sauce.
- To make the creamy sauce, we will need to combine egg yolks, parmesan cheese, and McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper.
- Next, we will take the skillet with the zucchini off the heat and quickly toss around the zucchini with the parmesan sauce.
- Transfer zucchini noodles to plates, garnish with McCormick® Basil Leaves, and serve.
KETO PASTA CARBONARA RECIPE NOTES:
- To get the absolute best tasting sauce, you must dry up the zucchini strips. Zucchini is mostly made up of water and will release A LOT of it if you don’t dry them up beforehand. Trust me, you do not want a watered down egg and cheese sauce.
- Also, there is two-pounds of zucchini in this recipe. If I am going to keep it honest, then I will need to tell you that we split the entire meal between the two of us, even though it is supposed to be 4 servings. Zucchini is just not as filling as spaghetti… fyi.
- One more thing. Please take the skillet off the heat before you stir in the sauce! Don’t worry – the eggs will cook just from the heat of the zucchini noodles. Just keep tossing until everything is well incorporated and covered in the cheese sauce.
This easy low carb pasta dish takes about 20 minutes to make, and is so rich and creamy that you definitely won’t mind the make-believe noodles.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Healthy, lightened up version of the classic pasta carbonara prepared with delicious zucchini noodles, pan fried pancetta & an irresistible creamy parmesan sauce. A perfect Keto "pasta" dinner!
- 2 pounds zucchini
- Pat of butter
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup, packed grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste, McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- McCormick® Basil Leaves for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Fresh ground pepper for garnish
Peel zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler to create long strips.
Lay zucchini strips flat on a paper towel-lined baking sheet; lightly salt each strip and set aside to dry.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add diced pancetta or bacon and garlic; cook for 3 minutes or until golden crisp, stirring occasionally.
In the meantime, prepare the egg and parmesan sauce;
Combine eggs, cheese, McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper, salt and ground black pepper in a mixing bowl; whisk until well incorporated and set aside.
Wipe down the previously prepared zucchini and add to the skillet with the pancetta and cook for 1 minute.
Remove skillet from heat.
Immediately pour in the eggs and cheese sauce.
Using two forks, one in each hand, lift up the zucchini and pancetta so it mixes easily with the egg mixture, which thickens and cooks but doesn’t scramble; mix until everything is coated.
Garnish with McCormick® Basil Leaves, ground black pepper, and grated parmesan.
WW FREESTYLE SMART POINTS: 6
MORE ZOODLES RECIPES:
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy