Huevos Rancheros Tacos – Soft tortillas stuffed with homemade refried beans, eggs, green chilies, tomatoes, cheese and diced avocados. Simple, but incredibly delicious!
If I was President, my first order would include a mandatory Brinner to be added to everyone’s weekly dinner menu. I’d also include these Huevos Rancheros Tacos as the greatest Brinner-idea of EVER!
FYI: For those not in the know, Breakfast for Dinner = Brinner. Genius!
HEY-HI! Happy Sunday! Guess what?!? It’s FREEZING out here! I am so OVER IT!
Also? I went on a date last night. Yes, of course, with the husband! It was our postponed Valentine’s Day dinner ’cause, you know, Antarctica out here has decided to pull the plug on all-the-plans. What a Beast! Go.away.
In other semi-related news? Thiiiiiis food! I am speechless! I love it so much!
Surprisingly, with the amount of Mexican-inspired dishes that I make, I would never ask anyone to join me for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. That’s SO weird! I mean, I love their food THIS MUCH, but I just am never in the mood to go and eat it at a restaurant. On the other hand, I am the girl that goes out to eat about 5 times in a whole year, and I only go because that’s one way that I will get to sit and chat with my friends, sans kids.
Lately I’ve been all about meals that basically make themselves, like my One-Pot Lemon Chicken & Potatoes, but this meal isn’t one of them. I know. sorrynotsorry. Trust me, they’re worth it! Besides, I’m only asking you to mash some beans and fry some eggs, over-easy-style. Chop up an avocado, too. And sprinkle some cheese. I mean, that’s not that much work, right? Again. Worth.It.
By the way, have you ever had breakfast for dinner? NO!?! Should you change that? YUSSSS! Stat! Like, now. Tonight! GO!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE HUEVOS RANCHEROS TACOS
Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) dark red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1/2- teaspoon ground cumin , or to taste
- 1/4- teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/2- teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 8 eggs
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-Blend Cheese
- 1 avocado , diced
- fresh lime juice
- fresh parsley or fresh cilantro , chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in beans; season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans have softened.
- Remove from heat, and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans until they resemble chunky mashed potatoes. Set aside.
If you want smoother beans, return to heat and add 1/4-cup water; simmer until beans are thick and of spreading consistency. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Break eggs and gently slide into skillet, one at a time. (In my skillet, I can fit about 4 eggs at a time.)
- Reduce heat to low and cook slowly until whites are completely firm and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Carefully slide a spatula under each egg and flip; Cook until desired doneness. Add more olive oil as needed.
- Evenly divide and spread prepared beans on warmed tortillas and top with cooked eggs.
- Add diced tomatoes & green chilies over the eggs.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add diced avocados and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each prepared taco.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.