Homemade French “Fried” Onions Topping – A delicious homemade AND baked alternative to those store-bought French Fried Onions.
HI-HEY! Me, again. TWICE in one day! Lucky youuuuuu! ♥
So. I gotsta be straight up with you right now. These French “Fried” Onions will not be as crunchy as those store-bought guys. True story.
Nor as crunchy as if you were to stick them inside a really hot oil-bath.
BUT! but, but, but… I DO love YOUR heart and that is why we’re going to bake these babes and love ’em as much as we should, m’kay? Coo’.
That’s like my disclaimer right there.
I made these onions to go with our Lightened-Up Creamy Green Bean Casserole, but I have used them in other casseroles, too. Salads, as well. Sandwiches. Sometimes we just drown them in ketchup and mustard and just eat ’em up.
This is so simple, it’s almost silly. But I like it! And I love simple!
All we’re doing here is slicing up an onion into thin rings, dipping said onions in a flour-panko mixture, spraying them down with nonstick cooking spray and sending them off to the oven for about 20 minutes. Maybe less. Maybe more. You decide. So long as they are golden brown, they are done.
Wasn’t that a great story? 😉
But wait! It can’t be that easy, now can it? Well. I am just going to ask you (beg you!) to stir them around every few minutes until they are done. The onions burn easily, especially at 450F, so you have to be on top of things, k? And we’re baking them at 450F because we want a nice crunch, but without the fryer.
What was I saying?
Hit print and crunch crunch crunch AWAAAAAY!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 large yellow onions , thinly sliced into rings (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt , or to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine onion rings (make sure they are separated), flour, panko crumbs and seasoned salt in a large mixing bowl; toss to combine and coat evenly.
- Transfer the onion rings to previously prepared baking sheet.
- Generously spray the onions with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 to 3 minutes, or until ready to use.
WW SmartPoints: 1
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy