Crispy, creamy and delicious red potatoes stuffed with bacon, green onions, and cheddar cheese – the perfect appetizer for any occasion.
I am so not a potato girl. Not at all. …Or so I thought…
First of all, I had no idea that this week was going to be bite-size week for us here at Diethood. First we have bite sized Chocolate Cake Ice Cream Truffles (amazing!), and now these incredible Loaded Baked Potato Bites!
Frankly, I think me and this whole loaded baked potato thing are getting out of control. One, I am craving comfort food in August. What?! Two, I honestly could care less for those large, loaded baked potatoes, but give it to me in a bite-size form and it’s on!
Can I be completely honest? No mcjudgy, m’kay?
I could not get these bites to “work”. You know how you bake a potato, cut it in half, scoop out the flesh, mix it with deliciousness, and stuff it back in?!? Ok. That didn’t work here. No. It did not.
Such high maintenance, these potatoes.
Instead, I had to cut the potatoes in half, scoop out the flesh, bake the skins, boil the flesh, and a few abra cadabras later it worked. The skin was just too thin. I don’t know if it was just this particular bag of potatoes or what, but it gave me a reason to spew out some words that the kids should not have heard. However, this method produced a crunchier potato skin! Always a bonus, right? LOVE me some crunchy skins! Which reminds me – that’s why they call ’em twice baked potatoes. Duh. Not you, me. I’m the duh.
Nevertheless, the bites are beyond! Seriously, they are as good as ice cream. Double seriously, they are addictive. I dare you to stop at just one or two. Dare! Double Dare!
Speaking of. Remember that show?! Double Dare!?! SO FUN! I had a crush on Marc Summers back then. I wanted to be on the show and meet him. And ask him politely to not spill that green stuff all over me.
Another completely honest confession; I wish I could have taken better photos of these potatoes. It’s what happens when you try to get that last minute of daylight…
I guess you can’t be at the pool all day and hope for amazing photos, knowing that hoping won’t work. But that still doesn’t take away from their deliciousness. For reals, these flippin’ potatoes are SO good! Every time I make them, my other half inhales all but two, just to say that he didn’t eat all of them.
If you have 30 minutes to spare, make these for your next partaaaay! Your guests will thank you. (call me) 😀
Loaded Baked Potato Bites
- 1 pound small red potatoes , washed
- olive oil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream (add more if you like it creamier)
- 6 strips of bacon , cooked to a crisp, crumbled
- 4 green onions , sliced, green and white parts only
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh.
- Place the flesh in a saucepan and add just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Put the potato skins, cut side up, on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the skins in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In the meantime, drain the boiled potatoes, and combine potatoes, butter, and sour cream in a mixing bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add bacon and green onions, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove skins from oven and fill with mashed potato mixture.
- Top with cheeses.
- Bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.