Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas – Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with nuts, shredded coconut, and sprinkles. They are easy to make and they are a perfect snack for kids and adults to enjoy on a hot summer day.
CHOCOLATE COVERED FROZEN BANANAS
A quick and simple sweet treat to satisfy that sweet tooth. Healthy and delicious, they are an awesomely refreshing summer treat! They are sweet, cold, and so tasty, but much better for you than ice cream.
First time I had Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas was at one of those County Fairs many moons ago; I was so intrigued by it, and so in love with it, that I went to the fair 3 times in one week so that I could have that banana again.
Once the Summer Fests were done, and I needed my frozen banana fix, I went to my Mom’s kitchen to recreate my newfound love. That same day I also found out that just because something looks simple it does not mean that it is simple.
I picked up a banana, dipped it in melted chocolate, put it on a tray, and in the freezer. Sounds right…right?
Ehh! Guess again!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED FROZEN BANANAS
When I went to get the banana a couple of hours later, the banana was almost all bare! The chocolate slipped right off it. I had to scrape the chocolate off the plate and into my mouth. Okay, so it wasn’t that bad of a mistake. 😉
You’re probably thinking why I didn’t just do a quick search. The answer to that is: Google didn’t exist back then, (no, I’m not ancient – it was early 90′s… and I’m 33), Yahoo was just starting out, and recipes were the last thing that were probably added to the search engines. (No research behind that statement…I could be wrong, 100%).
But, after a couple of trials and errors, I figured it out – freeze the banana before you dip it! So, it’s;
- CUT bananas in half and insert popsicle sticks
- dip in melted chocolate
- sprinkle with toppings
- freeze again until firm.
MORE FROZEN DESSERTS RECIPES
- Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops
- Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Popsicles
- 2-Ingredient Homemade Ice Cream
- Yogurt Granola Banana Pops
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
- 3 firm bananas , peeled and cut in half
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 8 ounces chopped dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Toppings: toasted hazelnuts , or peanuts, sprinkles, coconut flakes, etc…
- Line a sheet pan or a larger flat plate with waxed paper.
- Cut each banana in half.
- Insert a popsicle stick into the cut-end, and push the stick halfway in.
- Place all the bananas on the waxed paper and freeze for 1 hour.
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and pour in the vegetable oil.
- Melt the chocolate and vegetable oil in the microwave. DO NOT burn the chocolate. Check on it every 30 seconds and stir.
- Put the dipping decorations (nuts, sprinkles) on flat plates.
- Remove bananas from freezer.
- Take one banana at a time and dip it in the chocolate, coating it completely – spoon some on, if needed.
- Roll or sprinkle the dipped bananas with nuts, or sprinkles, or shredded coconut, and put them back on the waxed paper.
- Put the bananas back in the freezer and freeze for 1 hour.
Originally posted in May of 2011.