Cheesy Chicken and Vegetables Skillet – Loaded with veggies, cheese and tender, juicy chicken, this 30-minute, one-skillet dinner is fast, easy and most of all, delicious! The whole family loves it!
See? It was only a whole hot minute before a new chicken-recipe! FYI: It would be best not to get in between me and my chicken din dins.
Normal people have hobbies like biking and traveling. I have hobbies called loving-cooking and loving-chicken.
Before we talk chicken, again, and in other news? Hi Hi! Happy Monday! Let’s cheers to a good start to the week and a raise & promotion by the end of the week, m’kay?! CHEERS!
So I’ll just come right out and say it. One thing I have done a pretty good job at in my life here as a grown-up (other than finding amazing deals on Michael Kors purses) is making 30 minute meals. In one skillet. I’m a pro at this, you guys. Okay… maybe not a “pro”, but I can make it happen.
Recently, a very successful restaurateur, which is also a good friend, showed me around the kitchens of his restaurants and allowed me to sit in and watch how meals are prepared at his family diners in mere minutes. Not considering the commercial convection ovens AND the chefs, AND 10 line cooks, they still have NOTHING on Moms who work from 8 to 5, drive kids around to soccer games and basketball games from 6 to 8, come home and prepare dinner in 30 minutes and have everyone in bed before 10. Fed, bathed and tucked in. Somewhere in between all of that, we also worked on the kids’ homework… I’m telling you, they’ve got NOTHING on us, super-humans. We’re probably aliens.
Now that I got all of that off my chest, and beat my own chest like Tarzan, lemme tell you about our lovely Cheesy Chicken here with all those darling veggies swimming around it.
This is actually an old favorite. It is a recipe I turn too quite often when I’m either running out of time or I’m just lazy. Lazy is more like it. And when the bag of frozen peas/broccoli/carrot medley has been in the freezer for way too long.
But it’s sososososo delicious. It’s like taking all the goodness of veggies and chicken, stacking ’em up, or around, and covering it all with a healthy layer of cheese. It’s also incredibly easy, but it looks and tastes like something that took a really long time to make. That’s a huge bonus!
Now go make it. Then wait a while.
Then, dig in.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Cheesy Chicken and Vegetables Skillet
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 bag (16-ounces) vegetable blend (I always buy a blend that includes broccoli)
- 1 jar (4-ounces) diced pimientos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2- cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Lightly pound chicken just enough to even it out; do not pound it thin.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes *on each side*, or until browned.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add water and frozen vegetables to skillet; bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cover; cook 3 minutes.
- Add chicken back to skillet.
- Stir in diced pimientos and sprinkle cheese over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked thoroughly (Internal temperature of 165 degrees F or 75 degrees C).
- Remove from heat and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.