You’ll love these 2 Ingredient Crepes, which are light, fluffy, and delicate Crepes made with just 2 ingredients including, all-purpose flour and carbonated water. Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, but definitely NOT taste-free!
DAIRY-FREE EGG-FREE CREPES
Grab a full on European breakfast with my foolproof Crepes recipe involving only 2 ingredients!
Currently I am daydreaming about walking into a Pancake House, but one that’s not about Pancakes and it’s all about Crepes. So, a Crepe House. I do love pancakes, though… But not as much as Crepes.
If you have always wanted to make crepes, but were scared that you couldn’t whip up these pancakes like the creperies in France, this recipe is exactly what you need to get started.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THE CREPES:
The two ingredients in this simple Crepe recipe are seltzer water and flour… so they are vegan too!
- Flour– All-purpose flour works best here. Any other flour, such as wheat flour, would make the crepes chewy.
- Carbonated water – also known as, Seltzer or Club Soda. You can also use flavored Seltzer Water, but that will be much higher in calories and sugar.
- Non-stick pan – You can also use a crepe maker if you have one, but it’s not necessary, a nonstick pan works great.
HOW TO MAKE TWO-INGREDIENT CREPES
However, today’s 2 Ingredient Crepes are brought to you by my one and only, my very beautiful country of Macedonia 🇲🇰 where Crepes are a traditional breakfast food. Using seltzer water in place of butter and eggs, is a popular way to make them.
It’s how we do Crepes – flour and water. Done. We keep it reaaaaal simple.
- First we start by placing the flour in a medium mixing bowl.
- Next, we slowly pur in the Seltzer Water while whisking the mixture with a whisk. Whisk until well combined. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then, we lightly grease a large nonstick frying pan, or a crepe pan, with cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Next, add 1/3-cup batter to the pan and swirl to completely cover the bottom. Cook until edges of crepe curl-up and underside of crepe is golden brown; 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then, flip the crepe and continue to cook for 45 seconds to 1 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove the crepe from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray in between each crepe.
- Keep the crepes covered so to prevent them from drying.
- Finally, fill or top the crepe with your favorite filling or topping, and enjoy!
FILLINGS FOR CREPES
Let’s talk fillings and toppings, my favorite part. 😍
When we were little, my Mom used to turn out a hundred of these (I’m not exaggerating) at a time. She would then stuff them with either honey and ground walnuts, sometimes with feta cheese, OR even minced garlic and olive oil. Best stuff on Earth, I tell you. I’d lick my fingers clean each and every time.
You can use any kind of filling that you prefer, sweet or savory. Here are a few that I recommend.
- Nutella and diced strawberries
- Lemon Curd
- Sweetened cream cheese or mascarpone and berry fruit compote
- Sweetened whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Sliced bananas
- Garlic and Olive Oil
- Feta Cheese
- Scrambled eggs
HOW TO STORE CREPES:
Storing crepes is easy. Arrange a stack of cooled crepes between layers of paper towels or wax paper; place inside a heavy-duty resealable bag and refrigerate for up to five days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
HOW TO REHEAT CREPES:
- First, if frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next, remove the stack of crepes from the resealable bag; reheat in the microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds. Flip the crepe over and microwave for another 15 seconds.
CAN I MAKE CREPES AHEAD OF TIME:
- Absolutely, yes. The batter will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR CREPES ARE DONE?
You can use a spatula to flip the crepes, but your fingers are your best tool: lift an edge, peel the crepe up, and then gently turn it over (be careful not to touch the pan). The second side cooks in about half the time as the first. You’ll know it’s done when the bottom is lightly golden. The first one is never perfect, just like pancakes.
TIPS FOR PERFECT CREPES EVERY TIME:
- Cook over medium heat. Crepes are delicate and you don’t want to burn them by using a higher heat setting.
- Use a nonstick pan. This allows even heat and no sticking.
- Use butter to grease the pan after every crepe. This method will help the batter from sticking to the pan.
- Let the batter rest. This helps gluten develop leaving you with soft and tender crepes.
- Measure out the portion of batter, that way your crepes won’t be too thin or too thick. You will always have just the right amount of batter.
- Tilt and swirl! The pan will be warm so you’ll want to immediately start swirling around so the batter doesn’t just settle and cook in the middle.
- Add a layer of waxed paper between each crepe. This will prevent the crepes from sticking together and getting soggy.
These 2 Ingredient Crepes are also called Dieter’s Crepes and/or Poor Man’s Crepes. 🙂 Milk and eggs were too expensive back in the day. The struggle was real.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12-ounces) Original Seltzer Water or Club Soda
- Place the flour in a medium mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour in the Seltzer Water while whisking the mixture with a whisk.
- Whisk until well combined.
Set aside and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large nonstick frying pan, or a crepe pan, with cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add 1/3-cup batter to the pan and swirl to completely cover the bottom.
- Cook until edges of crepe curl-up and underside of crepe is golden brown; about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the crepe and continue to cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until lightly browned.
- Remove crepe from pan and repeat with remaining batter.
Lightly coat pan with cooking spray in between each crepe.
Keep crepes covered.
- Fill the Crepes with your choice of filling(s).
You can also use flavored Seltzer Water, but that will be much higher in calories and sugar.