Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced french bread
- shredded gruyere cheese (if you can't find gruyere, use swiss cheese)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, then add the sliced onions.
- Sautee until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and black pepper, and continue to sautee for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker.
- Add broth, white wine, and thyme.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Check for salt and pepper.
- Turn the oven-broiler on High.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls.
- Top the bowls with a slice of french bread and cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.