Skillet Baked Gluten Free Pasta with Ground Turkey and Tomatoes – Light, yet hearty and cheesy pasta dish with ground turkey and tomatoes. A one-pot, easy meal that’s perfect for any night of the week.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hunt’s® tomatoes. All opinions are 100% my own.
Winner Winner! One Skillet Meaty Pasta Dinner!
Hola, muchachos! Bonjour, les garçons! Pozdrav, drugari! Ciao, amici! Hello, friends! Pretty sure I didn’t cover everyone’s language, but happiest of Mondays to you all! How goes it?
Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? Oh my! 3 names made my night: Lady Gaga, Sylvester Stallone, aaaaand the hottie of all hotties, Leonardo DiCaprio.
You should also know that I’m not a fan-girl, nor a movie girl. I haven’t seen any of those 3 films and probably won’t, but I do love what those 3 entertainers/actors do with world organizations outside of their entertainment universe. High-Five to ’em all!
I’m also high-fiving myself because, a gluten free pasta with ground turkey and tomatoes? That is all cooked in one skillet and ready in under an hour? Yeah baby!
Can I also just tell you that this is so incredibly delicious? Is that so wrong to say? Is it seen as bragging? Ugh. But I know that you… get me. You and I row the same boat, climb the same trees, and avoid skinny jeans at all costs. But But But! This pasta ain’t no diet killer and I’ll tell you why;
- Gluten Free Penne Pasta
- Ground TURKEY Meat
- Hunt’s ORGANIC Diced Tomatoes
Check. Check. Check.
AND! This it’s only 304 calories per serving!
The fact is that I seriously have no idea how I am ever going to get back into just chicken and salads.
To add, this is approximately the 4th or 5th time where I talk about just how MUCH I love Hunt’s, and I’ll tell you why.
- Hunt’s cans their diced, whole, stewed and crushed tomatoes within hours after harvest.
- While lye peeling is generally recognized as safe by the FDA and has no adverse effects on the healthfulness of tomatoes, Hunt’s steers clear of any chemical byproducts and Hunt’s peel all their diced, whole, stewed tomatoes using FlashSteam, which is steam from simple hot water.
- Always delicious.
One more good reason? The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend consuming 2.5 to 3 cups of vegetables a day, a goal almost 9 out of 10 Americans are not meeting. New research presented at The Obesity Society’s annual meeting found adding tomatoes to your meals and snacks can be an easy way to include more vegetables in your diet and get closer to USDA’s MyPlate recommendations.
But this right here is what happens when Hunt’s Organic Diced Tomatoes end up in a hearty, warm, perfect for winter meal. Basically, what we have here is your dinner tonight. Gluten Free pasta and a little cheese are balanced out by a big helping of Hunt’s tomatoes and turkey ground meat. All in one big skillet.
I should also mention that this makes A LOT OF FOOD. I mean, if there’s only 4 of you at the dinner table, you might end up with leftovers for a day, maybe even two. OR, you can just call the neighbors and have them over for din din! When was the last time you did that!?
I do it every Sunday, but my neighbors are my parents, so…
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Skillet Baked Gluten Free Pasta with Ground Turkey and Tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 pound 99% Fat Free ground turkey meat
- salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Hunt's® Organic Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Hunt's® Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups water
- 1 box (12 ounces) Gluten Free Penne Pasta (I used Barilla's)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2- cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley , optional
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat olive oil in a large stovetop and oven safe nonstick skillet.
- Add onions and turkey meat; season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is browned on all sides.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; season with Italian Seasoning and dried basil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the water and gluten free penne pasta.
- Stir to combine and cover with a lid.
- Increase heat to medium; continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning, until pasta is tender and cooked al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in the milk and parmesan.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the top and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hunt’s® tomatoes. All opinions are always 100% my own.
One Pot Spinach & Feta Macaroni and Cheese