Easy, juicy, and delicious Crockpot Meatloaf stuffed with melty cheese and prepared in the slow cooker! This satisfying dinner idea is big on flavor with minimal effort.
If you are looking for an oven-baked meatloaf, try my classic meatloaf recipe.
Super Simple Crockpot Meatloaf Recipe
When life is too hectic and you need some serious comfort food without the serious effort, this slow cooker meatloaf is the answer. It has all the flavor and texture you love in a traditional meatloaf recipe, except you don’t need to keep an eye on the oven. Just add your ingredients to the crockpot and walk away. Go read a good book and revel in how amazing your home will smell by dinner time! ✌️
This easy crockpot meatloaf is a perfectly tender and cheesy meatloaf cooked in the Crock Pot and topped with a lip-smacking honey-sriracha glaze. It’s SO GOOD!
Why You’ll Love this Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Even your pickiest eater will be raving about this recipe for several reasons, including:
- Tender meat: Meatloaf cooked in the crockpot will never turn out dry or tough because a slow-cooked meat results in a tender and super juicy meal.
- Easy prep: Doesn’t everyone love a classic recipe that you can cook in the slow cooker? Put it together in the morning, set it in the slow cooker, and come home to a cheesy Meatloaf ready to be devoured. YES, please!
- Big flavor: This meatloaf recipe hits it out of the park in the flavor department!
- Stuffed with cheese: This crockpot meatloaf even has melty cheese stuffed in the middle! I mean, it doesn’t get better.
If you enjoy a good slice of homemade meatloaf there is absolutely no reason this recipe should not be on your dinner menu stat.
How to Make Meatloaf in the Crockpot
Making meatloaf has never been easier than with this crockpot method. It holds together when slicing and it tastes so darn good, thanks to the cheese!
- Mix the ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, seasonings, onions, sauces, eggs, and milk; mix until thoroughly combined. Use your hands – it’s the easiest according to …me. 😃 And Alton Brown.
- Prep your crockpot. In the meantime, line a slow cooker with aluminum foil and grease it with cooking spray.
- Add meatloaf ingredients: Transfer half of the meat mixture to the slow cooker and press it down.
- Add cheese. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and add the rest of the meat mixture over the cheese.
- Using your hands, shape the meat into a loaf. If you want, grease hands with cooking spray so it’s less of a sticky situation. If you’d rather shape it outside of the slow cooker, and then transfer shaped meat into the slow cooker – please, by all means, go ahead. Whatever is easier for you. ✔️
- Top meat with half of the glaze; cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. You can also cook it on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Meatloaf is done when temperature reaches 160˚F on an Instant Read Thermometer.
- Lift out the meatloaf by holding onto the foil. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the glaze.
- Broil briefly. Pop it under the broiler for 4 minutes, or until browned.
- Rest and serve. Garnish with parsley, rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
Want To Make this Recipe Low Carb?
If you want to make low-carb crockpot meatloaf you only need a few simple tweaks:
- Almond flour: You can use almond flour/almond meal in place of bread crumbs.
- Heavy cream: Use heavy cream in place of milk.
- BBQ sauce: Try this delicious Low Carb Barbecue Sauce for the glaze.
Want to Make this Recipe in the Oven?
Yes! ✔️ You can definitely make this crockpot recipe in the oven instead. Here’s how:
- Prepare as directed and shape the meatloaf.
- Transfer meatloaf to a greased or foil-lined baking dish and spread with half of the glaze.
- Bake at 350˚F for 55 to 65 minutes.
- When finished baking, spread the rest of the glaze over the Meatloaf and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until glaze is nicely browned.
- Remove from oven; let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
What Goes with Meatloaf?
So many things! I’m a big fan of Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Creamy Mashed Cauliflower with a juicy slice of homemade meatloaf. If I’m feeling really fancy I might also add some Roasted Green Beans or Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw to my plate!
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
- Fridge: Let your cooked meatloaf cool and then transfer to airtight containers and store in the fridge. It will keep for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to heat up some extras, just add a slice or two to a plate and zap them in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Freezer: You can also freeze meatloaf by transferring slices to airtight, freezer-safe containers and storing them in the freezer. The meatloaf will keep for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge when you want to eat it, then reheat in the microwave as described above.
Mozzarella Stuffed Crockpot Meatloaf
- 1 ½ pounds 80% to 85% lean ground beef
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 small yellow onion, shredded (use the large holes on a cheese grater to shred the onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 ounces part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker (or a bigger slow cooker) with a large sheet of aluminum foil. Grease with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper, ground mustard, egg, milk, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix with your hands until combined, but DO NOT overmix.
- Divide meat in half.
- Press one half of the meat into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Spread shredded mozzarella down the center, leaving about 1/2 inch space around the sides.
- Top with remaining meat and shape it into a loaf, and press around to seal the edges. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and Sriracha sauce.
- Brush half of the glaze over the meatloaf. Reserve the remaining half for later.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Meatloaf is done when temperature reaches 160˚F on an Instant Read Thermometer.
- Lift out the meatloaf by holding onto the foil; transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the glaze.
- Pop it under the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Prepare and shape the meatloaf in advance; cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Place in the slow cooker, and cook as directed.
- Store cooked & cooled meatloaf in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze: Cut meatloaf into slices and freeze it in covered airtight containers OR heavy-duty freezer bags.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.