Easy, cheesy and wholesome, these Homemade Cheese Crackers are just as delicious as the store-bought version, but they’re a lot better for you! You’ll love the mouthwatering combination of Italian cheese and herbs in these crispy, crunchy crackers.
Easy Copycat Cheese Crackers
So I have a good friend who loves eating healthy, but has had a serious Cheez-It addiction since she was a teenager! Well, this recipe is for her, and everyone out there who just loves those tiny, cheesy crackers… including me!
My wholesome cheese crackers have all the scrumptiousness of store-bought cheese crackers, but they use only a handful of real, whole ingredients!
If you’re looking for an easy homemade snack recipe that even picky eaters will love, this is definitely a good one! It comes together easily, and bakes up in no time.
This is a great recipe for kids to help with, as well! They’ll love helping mix, roll and score the cracker dough.
Plus, this crackers recipe makes a great base for getting creative. You can turn the basic recipe into just about any type of cracker. If you need inspiration, I’ve collected a few variation ideas below to get you started.
You can expect a perfectly crispy texture and fabulous flavor, thanks to the simple combo of eggs, cheese, and all-purpose flour.
- Flour: You’ll need one cup of all-purpose flour to make a batch of these crackers. (See Tips section for alternatives.)
- Eggs: Two large egg whites and one egg yolk helps bind the crackers together and improve the texture.
- Cheese: Just ¼ cup grated asiago cheese or grated parmesan cheese adds so much flavor!
- Herbs of Choice: Mix in one tablespoon of finely chopped fresh herbs or dried herbs. You can use your favorite; basil, oregano, cilantro, parsley or rosemary. You can also omit the herbs and just have regular just-cheese crackers!
- Garlic Powder & Salt: ¼ teaspoon of each.
- Cooking Spray
How To Make Homemade Cheese Crackers
You might think that rolling and moving thin cracker dough sounds tricky, but it’s really not, thanks to this easy solution: roll between parchment sheets! Keep reading to see just how easy making these yummy crackers can be.
- Make Dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, herbs, garlic powder, salt, and eggs; mix with a spatula until a soft, crumbly dough forms. Shape it into a ball.
- Roll Out Dough: Grab two sheets of parchment paper, and grease them with a bit of cooking spray. Place the dough on one of the sheets; lay the other sheet of parchment paper over the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about ⅛-inch thickness.
- Let Dough Chill: Carefully slide the dough onto a baking sheet. Do not remove the parchment paper, use it to slide the dough. Place in the freezer for 8 minutes.
- Cut & Bake: Preheat your oven to 325˚F. Remove the dough from the freezer and gently peel the top sheet of parchment paper off. Score the dough into about 30 to 36 cheese crackers; rectangles or squares work well! Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crackers are golden and firm.
- Cool & Separate: Remove your crackers from the oven and cool them on the baking sheet. Break into crackers and serve, or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Tips for Success
Making cheese crackers is as easy as falling off a log (or even easier for those of us who don’t have any logs around, I guess)! 😜 And, to make it even easier, I have a few useful tips to share.
- Crunchy or Soft: You can play with the texture of the crackers by adjusting the baking time. A longer bake makes a crunchier cracker, while a shorter bake will result in a softer, but still crumbly, texture.
- Scoring Made Easy: A pastry cutter or pizza cutter makes scoring the crackers fast and easy!
- Low Carb/Gluten-Free: You can also make this simple snack gluten-free by using almond flour or a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
There are lots of ways to customize your crackers. In fact, this might be a good recipe to double, just so you can try a few fun transformations!
- Sprinkle with Ranch Seasoning
- Add Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, just as I did in this recipe.
- Sprinkle with Taco Seasoning
- Add a Little Cayenne or Sriracha for Heat
- Use Cheddar, Colby-Jack, Brick, or Tillamook Cheese, finely grated
- Add Sundried Tomatoes and Basil to the Dough
How To Store Homemade Crackers
- To store crackers, you can put them in zip-top bags or airtight containers.
- Airtight Containers will keep them fresh for seven days.
- Zip-top bags will keep them fresh for about five days.
Can I Freeze Homemade Crackers
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic food wrap and store in the freezer for up to three months.
- Also, you can store the baked crackers in an airtight tin and freeze them for up to four months.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup grated asiago cheese or grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning, for topping, optional (you can also use ranch seasoning mix, taco seasoning, toasted sesame seeds, etc…)
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cheese, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and salt; whisk until combined.
- Using a fork, stir in the egg whites and egg yolk until completely combined and crumbly dough forms. IF the dough is too dry, add a teaspoon or two of cold water.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball.
- Grab two sheets of parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
- Add the dough ball to one of the sheets; place the other parchment paper over the dough, oiled side down.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about ⅛-inch thick. The thinner the dough, the crunchier the crackers will be.
- Carefully slide the dough onto a baking sheet, do not remove the parchment paper.
- Put in the freezer for 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Remove dough from freezer and discard top sheet of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle dough with everything bagel seasoning and, using your hands, press down on it to stick.
- Using a pizza cutter, score the dough into about 36 crackers; you can cut them into rectangles or squares.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crackers are golden and firm.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Break into crackers.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 7 days.
- Makes about 36 crackers.
- If you’d like to use fresh herbs, you’ll need about a tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs.
- WW POINTS are calculated PER 6 CRACKERS.
- NET CARBS per 6 crackers: 16 g
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Other Easy Snack Ideas
Love snacking, but looking for healthier homemade options? You have to try these easy recipes!