This easy Kale Smoothie is prepared with bananas, kale, kiwi, and milk. It’s surprisingly delicious and SO good for you!
AN EASY AND DELICIOUS KALE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
This energizing and delicious Kale Smoothie is amazing! Packed with kale, kiwi, and bananas, it’s healthy, high in protein and fiber, and it’s honestly the best tasting green smoothie I have ever tried.
I have made dozens of green smoothies in the past, but this one is my all time winner. Thanks to the banana and a bit of honey, this healthy breakfast smoothie is sweet, and the kale’s flavor is almost nonexistent. I promise, no bitter kale-flavor here!
This is like the thousandth recipe for a mash up of fruits + milk + ice that I now have on zee bloggy. Mango Banana, Pomegranate Yogurt, Strawberry Smoothie… I happen to really like fruits (and this time, veggies) in liquid form.
AND, I know that smoothies are no longer in-style, but they should always be IN! Always! Because, they’re the best healthy breakfast treat, especially for people on the go, or for those that just want a healthy start to their day.
Really, though. This Kale Smoothie is much different than those other green smoothies. The depth of flavor in this smoothie is… deep? I mean, it’s BE.YOND! It’s sweet, yes, and very refreshing, of course. No, it does not taste like dirt and there is not an ounce of bitterness in this green smoothie. Black bananas and honey took over any earthy, bittery taste that results from kale.
I’m not a superfan of the superfood, Kale, but throw it in a blender, and I’m game. I love the extra layer of flavor that it adds to my smoothies.
Kale Smoothie Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make a green Kale smoothie:
- ripened bananas: the darker, the sweeter. They are also a nutritional powerhouse, packed with potassium and fiber.
- kiwi: a small fruit that packs a lot of flavor and plenty of health benefits. It’s full of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, and potassium. They also have a lot of antioxidants and are a good source of fiber.
- kale leaves: kale is a superstar in the world of nutrition. It’s packed with vitamins, calcium, potassium, and antioxidants.
- milk: milk is an excellent source of protein! Also great because of nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, B vitamins, potassium, and vitamin D.
- honey: honey contains nutrients, it’s rich in antioxidants, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- ice cubes: good for thickening smoothies and keepin’ them cold. 😊
How To Make a Kale Smoothie
- Grab a couple of bananas, some kiwis, and washed kale leaves. You’ll also need milk, honey, and ice.
- If you have a high-powered blender, add all the ingredients, all at once, to the blender and blend until completely smooth. You don’t want any leafy chunks in your smoothie.
- If you don’t have a high-powered blender, first you will want to blend the kale and the milk; blend until the kale is as incorporated as possible. Then, continue with adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the smoothie is all blended, taste for honey and see if you want to add more. Also, if you prefer a thicker smoothie, add more ice cubes and blend until creamy and smooth. For a thinner smoothie, blend in more milk.
So, now you know that, obviously, this smoothie is totally worth it. Now, go make it. 😊
Green Kale Smoothie
- 2 large very ripe bananas, cut into several chunks
- 2 to 3 kiwis, peeled and cut in half
- 2 cups packed kale leaves, washed
- 1 to 1½ cups milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1 cup ice
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender.
- Blend on full strength until thoroughly incorporated, creamy, and smooth. If you want a thicker smoothie, blend in more ice cubes. For a thinner smoothie, blend in more milk.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
- If using a regular blender, first blend the milk and kale leaves until completely incorporated and smooth. Then, add the rest of the ingredients and continue to blend until creamy.
Originally published on Mar 19, 2014.