This Garlic Butter Pasta with Spinach recipe is made with fresh spinach and bow tie pasta tossed in a creamy garlic-butter sauce.
MY FAVORITE SPINACH PASTA RECIPE
Easy recipe for garlicky and buttery pasta with fresh spinach. A quick and easy meatless main or healthy side dish your family will love!
One of the meals I’ve made for Goce every week for the last several years is this Garlic Butter Pasta. He is my pasta-obsessed husband, and even though he’s mainly low-carb, sometimes a boy’s gotta eat what he wants to eat. 😃
I add whatever leafy greens I can find – kale, spinach, chard – and suddenly it looks healthier and a lot more inviting.
What sets this pasta apart from other pasta dinners is that it’s without a heavy sauce, like alfredo. We are only dealing with butter and garlic, plus a pinch of cream cheese and milk.
I’m tellin’ you, never underestimate the power of a good pasta dish. No… a GREAT pasta dish! This Garlic-Butter Spinach and Pasta recipe is seriously amazing.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC BUTTER PASTA WITH SPINACH
This Garlic-Butter Pasta & Spinach dish is a once a week deal. My other half is obsessed with garlic. Even more obsessed with pasta. The man can live on spaghetti, and he wants me to come up with a garlic and chocolate CAKE! Lawwwd, help us.
But, this delicious meal sitting before you is probably the quickest Olive-Garden-Chef’s-Special type of food you’ll ever make!
- Boil the pasta according to the directions on the box. I use Whole Grain or Whole Wheat Bow Tie Pasta and it takes about 12 minutes of boil time to get that al dente cooked pasta.
- Melt butter in a skillet; add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. (I actually just wait for the pasta to be done, then I drain it and use the same pot to melt the butter and create the sauce. Who needs another pot or skillet to wash, ya know whadda mean? 😉)
- Add mounds of baby spinach and cook until wilted.
- Stir in cooked pasta; add cream cheese and milk; cook until creamy and hot.
Clearly, in order to enjoy this, you really need to love garlic. And butter. Cream cheese, too. Did I hear a ‘HELL YEAH!’?! Of course I did!!
This is a 20-minute meal that’s completely fool-proof, and a perfect quick dish for weeknights that will please even picky eaters.
HOW TO STORE COOKED PASTA LEFTOVERS
Transfer cooked pasta to an airtight container; add a drizzle of olive oil and stir through. Cover and keep refrigerated for 3 to 5 days.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
This Garlic-Butter Spinach and Pasta recipe is seriously good. Fresh spinach and bow tie pasta tossed in a delicious and creamy garlic-butter sauce.
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings , garnish
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk
Prepare pasta following directions on the box.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet or dutch oven.
Add garlic and continue to stir and cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
Add spinach; season with salt, pepper, and basil, and cook until spinach is wilted; about 1 to 2 minutes. Depending on the size of your skillet, you might have to cook the spinach down in batches.
Drain cooked pasta and add to the spinach mixture; add cream cheese and milk.
Mix and stir until everything is well incorporated and cream cheese is melted.
Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Top with fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 14
- To lower points down to 11, use olive oil in place of butter, and also use fat free cream cheese.
*Originally published on August 24th, 2013. Updated on October 2nd, 2019.
Sign up to get new recipes via email & get an ebook with 9 favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes!