Feta and Cheddar Hash Brown Casserole – Delicious oven roasted hash brown potatoes with bacon, feta and cheddar Cheese.
I have an idea! Spoiler alert. It’s about a hash brown casserole and a Christmas side dish.
Hey you! How’s it going? Are the presents all wrapped up? I have a pile in the staircase closet that I don’t want to go near. Fortunately, we don’t exchange gifts until the 1st of January, but I will get to about half of that pile before December 25th. We do exchange (ONE) gift on the 25th, but come January 1st? May the force be with us.
Why Jan. 1?! BECAUSE… Traditionally, for Macedonians, Christmas is Christmas. It’s about Christ. But, January 1st marks a new beginning, thus we celebrate the beginning of the NEW with NEW things, a.k.a. gifts. Also? Most (Orthodox) Macedonians celebrate Christmas on January 7th.
As you can see, I have way more time than you! Nah nah nah nah nah
Now, let’s make a hash brown casserole!
This one time, back in 2014, I piled on a bunch of spinach and tomatoes on top of hash brown potatoes and made the best brunch dish of evvvver. That Hashbrowns, Spinach and Tomato Pie has made its appearance on my table time and time again, and because I needed a change, I made us something similar, but totally new, this Feta and Cheddar Hash Brown Casserole.
I promise you, this is going to be one suuuuuper easy side dish that only requires you to mix up all the ingredients in a bowl and transfer them to a pretty baking dish.
You will need to gather a few slices of bacon (duh), a cup or so of crumbled feta, another cup or so of cheddar cheese, yogurt, too, thawed hash browns, an egg, an onion, some flour, and seasonings. That’s it. If you’re anything like me, all these ingredients are a staple at your house, and within arm’s reach.
Let’s get to it!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen hash browns, thawed
- 6 slices bacon , cooked to a crisp, drained and crumbled (reserve some crumbles for garnish)
- 1 yellow onion , grated
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled fat free feta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- chopped green onions and crumbled bacon , for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine thawed hash browns, crumbled bacon, onion, cheeses, yogurt, butter, flour, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; mix until well incorporated.
- Add the egg and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Press mixture onto the bottom of the previously prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and chopped green onions.
WW Smart Points: 7