Bolognese Stuffed Peppers – A flavorful bolognese inspired filling prepared with ground meat, pancetta, tomato sauce, and seasonings stuffed into bell peppers and roasted to a delicious perfection!
Today, we are looking past the spaghetti and instead, we are adding our bolognese sauce to tender bell peppers. Low carbing it alllll theeee waaaay. Truth be told, it’s almost hard to talk about these stuffed peppers without wanting to gobble up that pic up there. I might like them just a tad bit more than my Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Peppers…
Friends! HI!!! What is up?! I hope you all are well. Actually, more than just “well”. I hope that you are all happy and perfect in your own individual ways.
I’ve been single parenting for several weeks here, and the good news is that I’m still alive. Better news? MY KIDS are still alive…
To all those single mommies/daddies out there, I bow down to you. I am not worthy. You are my heroes.
When I’m totally spent and DONE with my two little “angels”, and desperately need a bottle of wine, I hide in the kitchen, grab that wine bottle, and start cooking. I pour a little bit of it in the meal and have the rest for myself.
ALSO? The minute my husband comes back, I’m taking off to a far far away land! Like, Target, for instance, all by myself.
Enough about me and onto our bolognese stuffed peppers deliciousness right here.
What we have going on up there is a wonderful pan-cooked meaty bolognese filling that’s perfectly spiced, seasoned, and stuffed into tender bell peppers.
Bolognese sauce is a ground beef ragú made with ground meat, pancetta or bacon, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, wine, and cream. For our version here, I used turkey ground meat and I omitted the cream. A bit of milk works perfectly, or you can also use half and half.
Once our filling is prepared, I stuff it into halved bell peppers and pop ’em in the oven for about 30-ish minutes, or until peppers are tender and the filling is bubbly.
All I can say is; call on all your meat lovers to the table and let’s get ’em on dis stuff, stat!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Bolognese Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers, any color cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta or bacon
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 cups marinara or pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or dark colored juice
- 1/3 cup milk or half and half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese (optional) for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (optional) for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add ground meat and pancetta or bacon; stir in Italian Seasoning and cook until browned and crumbled.
- Stir in marinara sauce and wine, lower heat to medium and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in milk or half & half and grated parmesan; continue to simmer for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Place peppers in a baking dish.
- Fill each halved pepper with prepared meat sauce.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over each pepper and place in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Garnish with shavings of parmesan cheese and parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.