Baked Vanilla-Glazed Donut Muffins – Baked, delicious donut muffins covered with a sweet vanilla glaze.
Mini muffins that taste just like cinnamon sugar doughnut holes!
What’s up, you guys? How was the weekend?
As you may already know, ours was extra special. Aleksandra’s Christening was yesterday and things couldn’t be better. It was an incredibly beautiful occasion and such a blessing.
Buuuuut…. She cried. A LOT. It was only at the beginning, but still, it was A LOT.
I went down the tough-love route and was pretty stern when I told her to, “SHUDDUP! THE WHOLE CONGREGATION IS STARING AT YOUUUU!!”
Caps Lock = Shouting.
Exclamation Points = Shouting louder.
Top left is Aleksandra and bottom left is her older sister, Ana. Before you say it, I know. They look nothing alike. But, yes, they are 100% sisters. 🙂
Also? Thank GOD for camera phones because I wouldn’t have even this much to show you.
And here we are in the Church – as you can see, Ana is tugging on me. All Moms can relate.
M’kay. Now we can go back to Baked Vanilla-Glazed Donut Muffins.
Working off of my Baked Cinnamon Doughnuts, these pretty little things and I had quite the eating-session.
Is it cool that I am able to down the entire batch all by myself? Man, I can eat.
Don’t let the pictures fool you. My BFF truly is my treadmill. If there was a bubble above my head while running on that darn thing, the bubble would say, “CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE”. It’s what motivates me to keep on runnin’. Scouts honor.
I also try to bake MOST things that need to be fried. Most is the key word. I love fried onion rings. :-/ And fried Apple Rings… French Fries, too… Okay, so, hot oil and I are like *this*!
BUT, I try to balance it out with baking all other things that should be fried. I say should because, seriously, fried donuts are da bomb diggidy. However, our pretty little muscle there that we call “Heart” might beg to differ.
So let’s be nice to our hearts (hope IT doesn’t mind a bit of shuga) and whip up these pretty little, extra delicious, sweet donut muffins. I promise they are really, realllllyyyy good. Just baked and not fried. The Vanilla Glaze makes up for it.
Baked Vanilla-Glazed Donut Muffins
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I have made these with 1-cup whole wheat flour + 1-cup all-purpose flour and they worked out perfectly!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk (use 2%)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter , melted, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a 24-mini muffin pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl; whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk and vanilla; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add melted butter and continue to whisk until well incorporated. Make sure your butter isn't HOT!
- Gently fold the egg-mixture into the flour-mixture. DO NOT overmix. If your muffins are dense, it is because you overmixed. Mix just until everything is wet and combined.
- Spoon batter into the previously prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes in pan.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let slightly cool.
In the meantime, prepare the glaze.
- Fill a bowl with hot water and set aside.
- Place milk, vanilla and powdered sugar in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, constantly stirring just until all is well combined and no lumps appear.
- Remove from heat and set saucepan over the bowl filled with hot water.
- Ice the muffins with the glaze, one at a time and transfer back to cooling rack. Place a piece of foil or paper towel underneath the cooling rack because some of that glaze will drip off.