This Oven Baked Macaroni and Feta Cheese recipe is everyone’s favorite mac ‘n cheese made BETTER! Everything is betta with Feta!
HOMEMADE MAC N CHEESE WITH FETA
You guys, I know…
I can hear you…
“another blah blah Feta Cheese blah blah recipe” …
I KNOW! Please don’t roll your eyes!! Or worse, yet, walk away!
Don’t walk away!!! Take a seat. I promise this is good. Really good…
Here’s the dealio.
Are you tired of the same old mac ‘n cheese?
Have you been dreaming about baked macaroni with … ummm … a different kind of cheese?
Do you often think about adding a crunchy topping to your mac ‘n cheese? You didn’t see that one comin’, did ya! Yeah, I threw some fried bread crumbs on top – that’s some goooood stuff!
Growing up, we used to eat this stuff all.the.time. Oven Baked Macaroni and Feta Cheese was on mom’s menu about every other week. This stuff is great. One pot + 4 forks = 1 happy family.
Okay, so, technically it’s a baking dish, not a pot, but, “One baking dish + 4 forks” didn’t look right.
Anywho. Darn technicalities…
I told my mom I was going to post this macaroni dish on my blog, and the first thing out of her mouth was, “Don’t go throwing in all them things that you like to throw into our food … give them the real recipe!”. She says I tweak “our” recipes too much. Our, as in Macedonian recipes.
I “tweak” because most of our recipes stop at salt and pepper. It’s very rare that you will see an herb in a Macedonian recipe. Garlic, onions, and parsley. That’s it. The buck stops there. I blame it all on Vegeta Food Seasoning.
So for the sake of keepin’ it real, I am going to give you the recipe as is – no tweaking. Minus Vegeta.
Now you know there’s, like, nothing to this meal, right? It’s just some cooked macaroni swimming in custard with a sprinkle of feta. Aaaand some crunchy stuff on top. Easy peasy.
Give it a try. You might love it as much as I do.
Oven baked macaroni made with a mixture of eggs, milk, and feta cheese, garnished with a crispy crumb topping.
- 1 box (1 lb.) Elbow Macaroni, cooked according to the directions on the box
- butter for greasing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs , use a day old bread
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water. Drain.
- Generously butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour cooked macaroni into baking dish and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Mix in crumbled feta cheese.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the macaroni; mixture should come about 3/4 of the way up - it shouldn't cover the macaroni.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the fresh bread crumbs to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Remove from heat and spread the bread crumbs over the macaroni.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard sets and edges are browned.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
WW SmartPoints: 16