This Garden Vegetable Potato Salad is a fresh mix of red potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and red onion sprinkled with oregano and tossed in a simple oil and vinegar dressing.
Dang! It’s HOT! What in the world happened?! Last week I was all like, hey, where’s summer… this sucks… I can’t believe I’m cold…
Now I’m all like, dang it’s hot… this sucks… I can’t believe it’s so hot…
Other than sippin’ on
gin and juice Strawberry Pom Mojitos this entire week, I have also been eating lots, and I mean LOTS, of salads.
Would you care to try a Chunky Chicken Salad? That’s my going-to-a-bbq-gotta-bring-mah-salad, salad.
And this Potato Salad. I bring this one to parties just as often.
However, this past week it made it to our dinner menu. Alone. We had nothing else but this. With a side of mojitos. My husband and I, two forks, and a big bowl of our garden vegetables tossed with some potatoes. It was DY-NO-MITE!
You know what I found to be incredibly cool? I went to this amazing Spanish restaurant, Don Quijote in Valparaiso, Indiana, and this almost exact salad was on the chef’s Tapas menu! If you are from around the Northwest Indiana area, or just passing through, go to Don Quijote – it is beyond fabulous. The food is incredible and the people are just plain awesome.
I have one favorite thing about this salad. It’s cold. As in chilled. I LOVE that! Because I like to add the dressing before I put it in the fridge, the vegetables soften up just a tad bit, and their flavor is heightened by a thousand percent! It’s SO! good!
So the plan here is to use up some of your garden vegetables, or just hop to the nearest farmer’s market and load up on tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and the whole shabang. Then, come home and prepare this salad. It’s the weekend. DO IT! Cut up a french baguette and go to town with it. We did. 🙂
Garden Vegetable Potato Salad
For the Salad
- 10 petite red potatoes , boiled, quartered
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , quartered
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 1 small red onion , diced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- salt and fresh-ground pepper , to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; add potatoes and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Cut each potato into fourths.
- Combine potatoes and the rest of the salad ingredients in one large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add minced garlic, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Continue to whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Adjust the salt, pepper, or the proportion of oil and vinegar to taste.
- Gently stir dressing into salad.
- Cover salad with plastic wrap and set in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mix and serve.