fried pizza wp Fried Pizza Sandwiches

Heard there was a game coming up. I didn’t see any Bears in the promotional campaigns, thus I totally tuned out.

BUT, I totally tuned back in when I heard there wasn’t going to be a cheesehead in it, either. Score! icon razz Fried Pizza Sandwiches

Looks like the Bears have been cursed just like the Cubs. Yep! We will blame it on the curse. It has nothing to do with ability, sportsmanship, talent… nope, none of that. It’s just that damn curse! On a side note, I just learned that the last time the Cubs won the World Series, The Ottoman Empire was still thriving. That was a long time ago. Isn’t there a curse expiration date?

fried pizza 2wp Fried Pizza Sandwiches

About those Bears. I think we should bring back Mike Ditka! For, like, one season. icon smile Fried Pizza Sandwiches Why not? What have we got to lose? Right… That’s what I’m saying – there’s nothing left to lose!

Bear or no Bear, I will be watching the big game. I’m going to guess and say that we will be entertained by the 49ers on one side and the Patriots on the other. What do you think?

In the meantime, don’t think too much and make these Fried Pizza Sandwiches for the Big Game. Or for the Games coming up on Sunday. They taste like a large Mozzarella Stick with a side of pepperoni and tomatoes. YUM! Your taste buds and your friends will thank you.

fried pizza 5wp Fried Pizza Sandwiches

Fried Pizza Sandwiches

Yield: Serve 8

fried pizza 2wp Fried Pizza Sandwiches

• RECIPE UPDATED
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Oil for deep frying, I use Peanut Oil
  • 8 sandwich-bread slices, crusts removed, cut diagonally into triangles (do not use thin sandwich bread such as the Healthy Lifestyle Low-Carb - sandwich will be soggy)
  • 8 slices fresh tomato (about 1 to 2 small whole fresh tomatoes)
  • 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, each slice should be about 1/4-inch thick
  • 16 pepperoni slices

• Combine the beaten eggs and milk in a dish. Add in salt and pepper and set aside.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
  • Top 8 of the bread triangles with a slice of tomato, mozzarella, and 2 pepperoni slices.
  • Cover the sandwiches with the remaining 8 slices of bread, press down on top of the sandwich and seal together the edges.
  • Place the sandwiches in the egg mixture, about 30 seconds on each side.
  • Seal the sandwiches again before adding them to the hot oil, one at a time.
  • Fry for about 2 minutes on one side and flip it over carefully with a pair of tongs. Continue to cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Remove the sandwiches with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
  • Serve.

Notes

We enjoy these sandwiches hot or cold.

I’m sharing this with Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It Fridays

pixel Fried Pizza Sandwiches

29 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Nicole February 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Reply

THIS POST JUST GAVE ME LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, i cannot wait to try this! i’ve hit the epic food motherload!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

• Kate@Diethood February 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM - Reply

LOL!! Thanks, Nicole!!!!! These are Da Bomb Diggidy! I love ‘em with all my heart!! :-D

2. Kristy January 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM - Reply

Oh….seriously yummy!!!!! This would be dangerous around here.

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM - Reply

My kids love pizza and this fried version is a great alternative once in a while! :D

4. mjskit January 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM - Reply

What a fabulous idea! This looks like tomorrow’s lunch!

5. Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM - Reply

Yay, 49ers! This SF girl hasn’t been a football follower for a long time but today’s game was fun!

I would have LOVED these for the game today. These are awesome, Kate.

6. Leigh Anne @Yourhomebasedmom January 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM - Reply

Oh my gosh! These look amazing. Pizza is my favorite food in the world and I love this idea!
    I just started a new Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party on my blog this week – would love to have you stop by and share! http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party/

7. Cassie | Bake Your Day January 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM - Reply

Seriously, I’m just dyingover these. You are so creative!!

8. Ellen January 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM - Reply

Whoaaaa, I think I may have to try something along these lines. I am prepping what I call un-pizza week for my blog, with pizza themed recipes and with your permission could I do a variation on this, citing back to your blog of course?

• Kate@Diethood January 19, 2013 at 7:00 AM - Reply

Yes, of course you may….can’t wait to see! :-)

9. I was telling Hubby the other day that they should bring Ditka back. That was after they were looking at Singletary as a possibility for the coach position. I hope the guy they chose ends up being worthwhile. I miss my glory-day Bears!

Loved your Packers gibe too. Poor, poor Liz. :)

These fried sandwiches look ah-mazing. I’d love them. Heck the whole family would, which means I’d have to share. :(

10. Valerie January 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM - Reply

Unless it’s soccer (hello, perfect man-legs!), sports is completely lost on me. But I’d happily inhale several of these sandwiches as a way to pass the time!

Fab photos!! Melted cheese is my muse!!

11. Liz January 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM - Reply

You dissing my Packers????? LOL…

These sandwiches look spectacular!! Perfect game day food!!!

• Kate@Diethood January 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM - Reply

I swear I thought of you when I was writing this post!! :)

12. Kristina January 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM - Reply

okay, I’ll forgive you for the Cheesehead comments because THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. perfect for game day – who’s playing?? ;)

13. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM - Reply

Deep fried is somethimes the only solution, and these are brilliant! They will surely make up for any standing curse.

14. Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM - Reply

Wow, these look like the perfect way to impress all the guys! ;)

15. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie January 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM - Reply

I just became very very hungry.

16. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen January 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM - Reply

I just fell out of my chair!!

17. Shea Goldstein January 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM - Reply

No. You. Didn’t. You’re awesome Kate! xoxo

18. Ramona January 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM - Reply

Fried pizza… you naughty brilliant lady. :) These would disappear as fast as I make with my family. I don’t watch too much sports… it’s all about the snack table for me… these would be considered my personal touchdown. :) Have a great weekend. ~ Ramona

19. Averie @Averie Cooks January 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM - Reply

Wow. This is my husband’s dream come true! Fried pizza! Super creative!