White Cheddar Shells and Cheese with Shrimp and Peas – Made with lightened up creamy white cheddar cheese sauce, pasta shells, and sweet peas, Shrimp Shells and Cheese puts a new spin on ordinary mac ‘n cheese and the whole family will LOVE it!
You guyyyyys! I am writing to you from 35,000 feet in the air. I can’t sleep, even though this flight is 9 hours long, and I can’t really watch another movie, so what better thing to do than to whip out my macbook here and talk to you all?!
AND revolve this whole conversation around my family’s new found mac-n-cheese love that involves shrimp.
This White Cheddar Shells and Cheese with Shrimp and Peas was dinner 2 nights in a row because, a) leftovers, and b) packing suitcases + making from-scratch, homemade dinners? Those two things just don’t go together. I tried and failed. Because of that, I forgot to pack up the kid’s bathing suits and was given the, “You don’t love me, you don’t think about me!” treatment because I also forgot to pack up their princess dresses… send wine, please!
Anywho! Have you ever tried shrimp with your shells and cheese? Good stuff, right?
The cheese sauce is so good here! Working off my very popular Chicken and Broccoli Shells and Cheese recipe, I lightened up the sauce by not using any cream, and gave it an extra oomph by adding white cheddar instead of our good ol’ friend, sharp cheddar cheese.
I definitely wanted to include a veg in this recipe, and what better veg to choose than sweet and poppable green peas?! Seriously. They were the best choice for this shells and cheese dish.
Please hear me when I say that this is as simple as it is delicious. I mean like 30-ish-minute simple. YOU (WE) CAN TOTALLY DO THIS.
Step 1: Make pasta
Step 2: Melt butter
Step 3: Cook shrimp
Step 4: Add sauce
Step 5: Add pasta, peas, and cheese
Step 6: Eat Eat Eat!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
White Cheddar Shells and Cheese with Shrimp and Peas
- 12 ounces small pasta shells
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced, divided
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Place peas in a colander. Drain pasta over peas in colander.
- In the meantime, add butter and olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and melt butter over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and half of the minced garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, chicken broth, and flour.
- Add remaining garlic, salt, pepper, and chili powder to the mixing bowl; whisk until well combined.
- Stir the milk mixture into the pan with the shrimp.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Add pasta, peas, and cheddar cheese to the skillet; stir until cheese is melted and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and let stand 3 minutes.
- Stir and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.