Packed with fresh strawberries, ice cream, and smooth whipped cream, this sweet and ever so slightly tart Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Cake is the perfect easy treat for hot summer days.
Easy Ice Cream Cake with Strawberries
Is there any better way to cool down than a big heaping slice of homemade ice cream cake? Each of the cold, creamy layers adds another level of depth to the flavor. It’s a sweet, tart, buttery delight that you can pop in the freezer to set after less than 10 minutes of prep.
Yes, you heard that right! This rich, decadent and elegant dessert is a breeze to throw together. Just stick it in the freezer, wait around 6 hours, and pull out this incredible dessert to impress all your friends.
What You’ll Need
Six simple ingredients come together in this decadent frozen dessert. Check out the recipe card below to find the exact amounts for everything.
- All-Butter Pound Cake: I use Sara Lee, but you can choose your favorite brand or make your own. Cut it into 8 slices.
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberries: Sliced.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: For the whipped topping.
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Cake
With just 10 minutes of active prep, this cake spends most of its time freezing. Just pop it in and kick back while the freezer does its thing.
- Prep Your Materials: Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil, with enough overhang on opposite sides to lift out the cake.
- Whip the Cream: Combine the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whip them together until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the Cake: Place half of the pound cake slices in a single layer to cover the bottom of the prepared pan. Using a spatula, spread the ice cream over the cake slices. Layer the sliced strawberries over the ice cream and spread half of the prepared whipped cream over the strawberries. Form a final layer on top of the whipped cream using the rest of the cake slices. Spread the remaining cream on top and as far down as you can on each side.
- Freeze: Let your cake set in the freezer for 6 hours or overnight.
- Frost and Serve: Lift the cake out of the pan using the foil handles, cut it into 6 equal slices and serve them.
Tips for Success
This no-bake ice cream cake is basically foolproof. Here are some things to keep in mind so it comes out perfect every time.
- Defrost the Ice Cream: Spreading the ice cream layers is so much easier if you soften the ice cream slightly first. But you definitely don’t want soup, since it will soak right into the cake, making it soggy and giving you a much thinner ice cream layer. Around half an hour in the fridge, 10 minutes on the countertop or 10-15 seconds on your microwave’s defrost setting should help soften it up.
- Let Sit Before Serving: I like to let this cake sit out on the counter for around 10-15 minutes before I serve it. This just knocks off a little frost, making the whipped cream smoother and the cake layers more moist and tender.
- Run Your Knife Under Water: If you’re having trouble slicing this cake, try running your knife under hot water. Just ten seconds or so should make cutting this cake so much easier.
I love the simplicity of this ice cream cake, but sometimes it’s fun to shake things up! Check out these ideas for inspiration.
- Switch Up the Ice Cream: Swap the strawberry out for another fruity flavor, opt for plain vanilla, or try something chocolatey for a chocolate-covered strawberry vibe. You can even go all-in and dip the strawberry slices in chocolate. Or, if you’re looking to stick with strawberry but want something really decadent, try this homemade Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
- Change the Cake: Instead of pound cake, try using shortcake, angel food cake or ladyfingers. All of these options give you the same tender cake layers.
- Flavor the Whipped Cream: This recipe gives you a subtly sweet vanilla whipped cream that goes great with the strawberries, but it’s not the only option. Try folding in cocoa powder for a chocolate whipped cream, or dropping some almond extract in along with the vanilla.
This cake will keep in the freezer with a tight layer of plastic over the top for about 2 months. After that, it’s still perfectly safe to eat, but the risk of freezer burn goes up, which can change the taste and texture. But don’t worry – when you’re ready to dig in it’s super low-prep, since you can eat it right out of the freezer!
More Refreshing Summer Treats to Try
Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Cake
- 1 all-butter pound cake cut into 8 slices
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream
- 10 whole strawberries , sliced
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Line 9×5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil; leave an overhang on opposite sides to lift out the cake.
- Combine the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whip them together until stiff peaks form.
- Place half of cake slices in a single layer at the bottom of prepared pan.
- Using a spatula, spread the ice cream over the cake slices.
- Layer sliced strawberries over ice cream.
- Spread half of the prepared whipped cream over strawberries.
- Layer the rest of the cake slices over the cream.
- Spread the rest of the whipping cream on top and on the sides.
- Set in the freezer for 6 hours or overnight.
- Lift cake out of the pan, cut and serve.
- To Store: Wrap well in plastic and keep frozen for up to 2 months.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
71 comments on “Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream Cake”
So pretty! This is a really lovely cake. 🙂
This is beautiful, Kate! Love it!
Ahh I missed the chance by one day. I got email about this giveaway but was a bit busy and couldn’t make it! I can still enjoy looking at your delicious ice cream cake though. What a great ice cream cake. I definitely want a homemade version. Looks absolutely delicious!
Such a light and gorgeous summer cake! Mouth is watering!
You might just be able to coax summer out of hiding with this ice cream cake. Love how easy it is and the flavors–I can almost taste this.
Food and stuff for our four kids!
some new outdoor patio chairs
I would buy nut butters and other interesting foods I only find at target!
There is so much I’d like to get…of course, all baking things:)Gorgeous cake, Kate! Screams of summer and lazy days:)
I would use this gift card for baby stuff;)))
I would use the gift card to purchase groceries
I’d love to get some new dishware or a comforter set!
A cake that I don’t have to bake myself – I’m all over it! 🙂 Here’s hoping for some good weather this weekend!!!!
I’d get some new home accessories! Pillows and such 😉
I would use the gift card on another electric blanket. Winter’s a cruel tyrant this year!
Crazy weather is the norm around the world these days! I never made an ice cream cake, it looks fantastic Kate! Going right now to check the post
Cake looks gorgeous, Kate! And I can always use money at Target…we buy anything and everything there!
I’d use the card to buy some basics and kitchen utensils I’ve been wanting. Mixing bowls and measuring cups.
Don’t judge me but I’d totally use it for clothes! or shoes! Target has the best stuff!
I’d buy presents for my hubby – probably some new shirts!
I would buy baking supplies, of course!
If I won, I would buy some clothes and shoes for my daughter
I’m loving the new Threshold items! Maybe new throw pillows?
I know what you mean! I love throw pillows!! Target has some amazing things. Good Luck!! 🙂
Strawberries and cream are one of my favourite pairings and I’ve wanted an ice cream cake for ages so this cake is a winner on so many fronts. 🙂
I haven’t had ice cream cake since I was little. It’s totally bringing me back. And um yeah it’s snowing here today. It’s not sticking but IT’S SNOWING! If spring doesn’t get here soon I’m gonna like die.
something for the kitchen or a pair of shorts since the 2 pairs from last year are in tatters.
I need supplies for the grilling season. A Target gift card would help with that!
I really need an offset spatula!!! haha!!! Cake looks refreshing ♥
I’d use the Target gift card to buy groceries to make things for my own blog. I’m at Target ALL the time.
If I were to win I would use it towards summer clothes.
Target has the best prices on a lot of groceries so that is what I would spend this on. Plus a paperback book for me.
I would use it to buy a kitchenaid!
i would be buying a comforter set!
I would update my spring attire!
This cake is screaming my name!! But I’d have to have a HOT cup of coffee with that. Is that weird?
Something for the kitchen.
I would get kitchen goodies ~ like a knife rack.
Thanks for a chance at the giveaway!
I’d like to purchase a few movies for my kids, some snacks for my hubby and an expensive chocolate bar for myself.
I LOVE strawberries. I’m so glad they are finally in season and tasting good.
Our target is almost finished being built! I would buy summer clothes for my son!
I’d use the gift card to buy a swimsuit!
Gorgeous cake! I am with you on this spring thing this year… We had snow storm yesterday… Ugh….
I would buy some cute outfit for summer 🙂
Anything related to the kitchen!! Especially some new dishes!
This cake is truly a beauty!
Target’s home accessories are adorable right now- I’d probably splurge on them 🙂
soap, shampoo and some stuff for the girls! LOVE the ice cream cake! So simple, I love it!!
I would use it to buy items off my wedding registry that we didn’t receive at our showers.
This ice-cream cake makes me so happy! I can’t wait for summer!!!!
Girl, this cake is SO gorgeous. I wish I had some right now! I think I might just have to use a Target card to buy the ingredients to make this (at least to start).
I’d use the gift card to buy cooking/baking tools to stock my new apartment! I’ll have nothing once I move!
Gonna have to try the recipe — looks yummy!
This ice cream cake looks amazing!
This looks so pretty! I would use the Target giftcard for new kitchen supplies for my upcoming move!
I would use it on some of the delicious gourmet food items they carry!
I would probably spend the Target gift card on some cute summer clothes.
What a stunning cake, Kate! …and a wonderful giveaway too! I would use the gift card probably for some appliance. I have been wanting a pizzelle maker.
HA! I’ve been wanting a pizzelle maker, too!! 😀
I’m redoing my bathroom so I would get a new shower curtain and things to match! I already have one picked out that I would get!!! 🙂
I’d use the Target gift card to buy a new blender.
It looks delish, delish!!!!!!!!!!
I would buy some new plates and cooking equipment for my apartment next year.
So pretty, Kate! And, effortless to prepare for a special summer dessert. Pinning… xo
I totally hear you about the weather. We are having the same problem. One day it’s so hot we have to turn on the A/C then the next day we are wearing coats and the heat is on. Crazy! I love this easy to put together ice cream and strawberry cake. Your pictures are so tempting I just wish I could grab a slice. 🙂
Looks delicious & super easy
Love this! Ice cream cakes are the best! And thanks for the awesome giveaway – we could all use a trip to Target! I need detergent!
Gorgeous cake! And I would spend that Target gift card on just about anything from soap to dishes!
You can never go wrong with strawberries and cream, love this cake!
Thanks SO much, Laura!! ♥