Southwest Chicken Alfredo is an easy, creamy and delicious pasta recipe with spicy chicken, vegetables, homemade alfredo sauce and cavatappi pasta. It’s the perfect quick dinner idea for busy weeknights since it’s done in just 30 minutes!
I Love The Mexican Twist On This Chicken Alfredo Recipe
So dreamy, so creamy, sooooo delicious! I ♥ my Mexitalian fusions!
Oh, heeeeey, friends! Happy Sunday! Welcome to my allthethings pasta/chicken sanctuary. Err. Blog.
I had an email the other day from a reader asking me to STOP butchering “their” Italian cuisine, referring to my Mediterranean White Chicken Enchiladas.
Normally, I wouldn’t bring this up because then you and I would have something/someone to gossip about every.single.day, however, this one is an exception.
An exception because, a) since when is Italy the only thing that is Mediterranean?
Geography 101: The countries with coastlines on the Mediterranean Sea include; Albania, Algeria, Bosnia, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Northern Cyprus, Palestinian territories, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Turkey, and Tunisia.
AND, b) Imagine what would have been if Picasso went along with the norm and continued to just draw stick-people.
This Creamy Alfredo Is Pure Comfort Food
Thus, today we’re talking about pasta and cumin and chili powder and bell peppers and other yummy stuffs. Food for the heart and soul.
This whole thing was like a delicious fusion of all the things this family of 4 loves. From the cavatappi pasta to the southwestern flavors, this recipe represents!
I also found out that this is very good for the truly hungry-hungry. Like, the hangry hungry. <— Me, every day. It gave my hungry self a feel-good hug at the end of a long, exhausting day full of me taking care of two little girls and their stomach bugs. Grrrrr! GO AWAY WINTER!
But, for reals. I just love this Southwest Chicken Alfredo combo. It’s colorful, it’s loaded with flavor, it’s creamy, it’s full of texture and there’s avocado on top. I mean. What more do you need?!
Have a Happy Sunday!!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Southwest Chicken Alfredo is an easy, creamy and delicious pasta recipe with spicy chicken, vegetables, homemade alfredo sauce and cavatappi pasta. It's the perfect quick dinner idea for busy weeknights since it's done in just 30 minutes!
- 1 package (1 pound) Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 pound (about 3 to 4 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 avocado , diced, for garnish
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a ziploc bag, combine ground cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder.
- Add the cubed chicken pieces to the ziploc bag; close it and shake it around until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces to the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter; add diced peppers, onions and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour; continue to whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half into the sauce until completely incorporated.
- Stir the Parmesan cheese into the sauce, whisking continually.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer; cook, stirring regularly, until the sauce has thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and vegetables to the sauce; stir and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and hot.
- Add drained pasta to the chicken mixture and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Top with diced avocado and fresh parsley.