Pomegranate Apple Pie Bars – Mixture of apples and pomegranates nestled between a delicious buttery pie crust and a sweet crunchy topping.
Hi! I gots some things to tell you!
1. It’s Friday. Cheers to that!
2. Thank GOD that it is.
3. I’mma need a few glasses of adult juice tonight with a side of a large pizza.
4. I hope your Friday plans are similar to mine. IF you like that sorta thing…
It’s just barely Christmas and I’m all over the ruby red colors and snowy powdered sugar. Lovin’ it!
Handling pie crust… I find it quite therapeutic. You, as well? It’s like, I hear nothing I know nothing – it’s just me and the dough, workin’ it.
This was supposed to be my dough for a traditional Apple Pie… Well. Obvi. That didn’t happen. Just like that one time when I made Apple Pie Cake. Or those Apple Pie Cannoli! Pretty close, but not close enough.
Thus again, my brain started overworking, overanalyzing, overdoing, over-etc…, so instead of a Pie, you get Pie Bars. With Pomegranates.
I’m not sure exactly when I’m going to prepare us a traditional Apple Pie, but I just get distracted by so many other things. In this instance, it was the pomegranates.
I had just deseeded a pomegranate and when I walked over to peel some apples, it just kinda spoke to me – add me to the poms, add me to the poms, add.me.to.the.poms… Um. Sure!
In thinking about the crunchy texture and the tangy taste, I was more than happy to include these beauties.
Also? Can someone please remind me to start photographing my food way before 3 p.m.? I mean, hot dang, they are SO blue! This daylight savings is kind of a pain.
Maybe I should look into a professional studio and not a sliding glass door???
…now I just need an investor and a builder.
AND? My recipe box is not working! We’re doing it old style today – recipe on a white page without a print screen option. I’m kinda crying.
But, since it’s Friday, don’t you just want to definitely make these?? I would!
Have a wonderful weekend!
- For the Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- For the Apple Pomegranate Filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I loved the walnuts in this recipe)
- 2 cups cubed apples (about 2 to 3 small Granny Smiths, peeled and cored)
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add flour in a mixing bowl and using a pastry cutter, work the cold butter into the flour; continue to cut until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the melted butter and powdered sugar; knead the dough with your hands until well combined.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan and press the mixture down onto the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on the sides.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Add eggs to your mixer’s bowl and beat for 10 seconds, or until combined; add sugar and continue to beat until thoroughly combined.
- With the mixer on, gradually add flour, then add the baking powder, salt and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Fold in walnuts, apples and pomegranate seeds.
- Remove baked pie crust from oven and let stand 2 minutes.
- Add the apple mixture over the pie crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is browned.
- Remove from oven and let completely cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares and serve.
10 comments on “Pomegranate Apple Pie Bars”
Daylight savings is the worst, but now the days are going to start to get longer! Yay! These bars look like just about the best thing ever. Major yum!
Well aren’t these pretty, love the pom-apple pairing!
I’m so obsessed with pomegranates. The idea of baking with them has me swooning.
Friday nights aren’t the same without pizza and “adult juice.” And these apple pie bars look really good.
These look great! Love pomegranates!
Your distractions always turn out so lovely! Love the pomegranate added to these apple pie bars!
I think I might have ‘adult juice’ with these too;)
Yum! I love apple pie and pomegranate. This looks like a delicious treat that I definitely want to try soon!
These look and sound incredible!
These bars sound absolutely AMAZING!