Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 21. Again, of course.
I didn’t get a chance to properly celebrate due to prior engagements, but I did get to eat my birthday cake. But, it wasn’t a cake. In fact it was this French Silk Tart that I made for myself.
I have discussed my love for creamy desserts many times on this blog. I am not into cakes. If I had to pick between nibbling on spongy layers with frosting, or enjoying a creamy dessert with a thin and sweet crust, the latter would be my choice. No doubt about it.
This is probably the easiest dessert that you will ever make. Instead of a French Silk Pie, I decided to go with a French Silk Tart. It is a layer of crushed oreo cookies topped with chocolate whipped cream and finished off with another layer of, you guessed it, whipped cream. Add some chocolate shavings on top and serve. No baking involved. Just some refrigeration time so it sets.
All this tart talk is making me want to go and attack this loveliness one more time. I will wait until the kids go down for a nap, then it will be me, my tart, and the DVR. I need to see what happened with the Shahs of Sunset last night! Have I told you that I am a Bravo TV junkie? I am. That is my guilty pleasure. Another guilty pleasure – news networks. I am a news junkie. Politics, history, and food. That is me. With a mix of Real Housewives and the Shahs. 😉
French Silk Tart
14 14 14
WW Freestyle: 16
For the Crust:
- 15 oreo cookies , crushed
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Chocolate Shavings for garnish (optional)
- Combine the crushed oreos and melted butter in a small bowl; mix well and press onto the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Refrigerate until needed to fill.
- Pour the whipping cream into a medium sized mixing bowl and microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until hot.
- Add in chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour; it needs to be cold and slightly thickened.
- Prepare the Whipped Cream Topping by combining together the whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Take out the chilled chocolate mixture and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the oreo crust.
- Spoon whipped cream topping over the chocolate layer and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate for one hour or until set.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and serve.
French Silk Tart
Amount Per Serving
Calories 294 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g60%
Vitamin A 615IU12%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.