I made a burger. And I stuffed it with feta cheese.
Oooooh, she’s daring! – you say?! ‘Nuff with the sarcasm. We need to discuss feta stuffed burgers!
I know, stuffing a burger with cheese is nothing new. I knoooow. But, my burger is better than your burger. And my Feta Stuffed Burgers can beat up your cheese-stuffed-onion-filled-burgers any day! 😛 Just kidding! But, for what it’s worth, this burger is SO! GOOD!
You know what. I think it took way too long for the cheese-stuffed-burger trend to finally happen around these parts of the world. Or maybe it was always here, but I was just hiding under a big rock.
Growing up, I remember eating burgers stuffed with either aged cheese, also known as kashkaval, or feta cheese. On the side was a big bowl of homemade fries, and next to those was another plate with garlic sauce atop roasted peppers. Delicious doesn’t even begin to describe such a meal. It was the summer meal we always looked forward to.
Lemme tell ya what is different about these burgers. It’s in the meat. In line with dad’s advice, this burger is super special because it is made with ground beef and ground pork. Then, I mixed in some chopped green onions. And I stuffed the burgers with feta. Obviously.
I also added a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh green peppers and diced onions, tossed in some olive oil and white vinegar.
I tell you all of this because it’s important you understand that all these components, including this salad, need to make it to the burger. It adds texture, flavor, and messy eating with drippings! YUM!
The feta stuffed burgers are beyond flavorful, and SOOOO juicy! I could have had four, but I stopped at two. (If I was alone, I would have had four. Just sayin’.)
Garden Salad Feta-Stuffed Burgers
For the Burger
- 4 to 6 burger buns
- 1/2- pound ground beef
- 1/2- pound ground pork
- 4 green onions , cleaned, thinly sliced, white parts only
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (or less) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Salad
- 1 tomato , cut into thin wedges
- 1 green banana pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber , thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion , roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat gas grill.
- In a large mixing bowl combine beef, pork, onions, salt and pepper; mix it all together.
- Shape the hamburger meat into 1/4-pound patties, about 1/2 inch thick, and about the diameter of a hamburger bun.
- On half of the patties make a wide indentation in the center.
- In a small bowl combine feta cheese and garlic powder.
- Fill the indentations with the feta mixture.
- Cover and seal with the rest of the patties.
- Place your burgers on hot grill.
- Cook for 7 minutes; turn and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until done.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir gently until thoroughly combined.
- Take burgers off the grill and place on buns.
- Top with prepared salad.