No Bake Chocolate Cookies with Candied Fruit Slices – No-bake chocolate cookies made with ground graham crackers, chocolate, and candied fruit slices.
One of my dear blog friends, Abeer, also known as CakeWhiz, asked if I would like to participate in her Christmas Extravaganza. I had to think about this for a moment… Abeer makes all these amazing Cake Boss type cakes, and I thought she was about to ask me to make a cake. Ummmm… There’s no way I am going to put my cake next to hers. NO way.
Then I continued to read and all she wanted was just some cookies. Phew! I can do cookies.
As I continued to read I realized that she in fact was looking for either a Christmas cookie with a twist, or a cookie that is part of our culture.
I wouldn’t say that these chocolate cookies are a part of my culture, per say, but this is one of those cookies that many Macedonians make around this time of year, including my Mom. She freezes about 6 logs at a time, and whenever they want something sweet to nibble on, these are ready to go.
I believe that these cookies are similar to the Italian Chocolate Salami Cookies that are made with tea biscuits and nuts.
Usually these cookies are made with gelee candies, which is what my Mom uses, but because gelee candies are hard to come by around here, I used some candied fruit slices that are in fact similar to gelee.
Also, the traditional log is made with Petit Beurre tea biscuits, but once again, because these particular biscuits can’t be found at the local grocer, not around here at least, I went ahead and used Graham Crackers, instead. If you can find gelee and Petit Beurre tea biscuits, please go ahead and use them.
Thank you, Abeer, for the invitation! This gave me a chance to share something from my Mom’s kitchen, and I had a great time doing so.
Check out the other participants’ creations!
1. Chocolate cranberry skillet cake from Sandra at Sandra’s Easy Cooking
2. Pistachio and cardamom semifreddo with rose cream from Manu at Manu’s Menu
3. Annabelle’s ginger crisps from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
4. Chocolate cookies with candied fruit slices from Kate at Diethood
5. Honey pistachio sesame cookies (Barazek) from Sawsan at Chef in Disguise
6. Poppy seed roll (Makowiec) from Raven at Ravienomnoms
7. Stollen from Roxana at Roxana’s Home Baking
8. Cocoa mint shortbread from Tiffany at Comowater
9. Rose syrup chocolate bark from Abeer at Cakewhiz
No Bake Chocolate Cookies with Candied Fruit Slices - No-bake chocolate cookies made with ground graham crackers, chocolate, and candied fruit slices.
- 3 cups finely ground graham crackers
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 bag (9.5 ounces) Candied Fruit Slices, chopped
- 5 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 2 sticks butter , melted (you might need a bit more or less butter - start with one melted stick and see if it needs more)
Combine all ingredients, following the order above, in a large mixing bowl.
Mix with a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined; you're looking for a homogenous mixture that holds together.
Line your work area with aluminum foil and spread half of the chocolate mixture on top of the foil to about a 1/4-inch thickness.
Holding onto the ends of the foil begin to roll the cookie dough into a log. Cover with foil.
Do the same with the other half of the cookie dough.
Place the logs in the freezer over night.
Let sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
Cut into 1/4-inch cookies and serve.
WW SmartPoints: 2
I am sharing these with Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It Fridays
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy