This healthy take on the classic California Chicken Salad makes for a delicious meal! Made with grapes, celery, nuts and grilled chicken served atop a bed of romaine lettuce, all tossed in a lightened-up creamy yogurt dressing.
A HEALTHY AND EASY CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE
It’s Chicken Salad TIME! It’s Lunch. It’s a snack. It’s Dinner. It’s a Picnic!
Also? The only salad to prove to my Mom that fruit and chicken belong together, especially in a salad. I mean, just LOOK at that beauty! LOVE IT!
HEY HEY Friends! Happy Monday! Cheers to a new week! I hope your week started off with a meeting in your manager’s office, discussing your super deserved promotion.
OR! I hope you’re on a beach, getting your tan-on with a SPF 100.
Sitting on the couch with the iPad in your hands? That’s also just as good! That’s what I’m doing!
I am SO excited to tell you about a combination that I adore. I’m possibly more excited about this than I am about chocolate and peanut butter. Possibly…
Chicken and grapes in a salad, be still my heart.
First. Cold, firm grapes… oh, my. It’s all in the crunch. I sometimes freeze them and throw ’em in a glass of Chardonnay. My OH my! Other times, I pair them up with feta cheese and enjoy a caprese salad, Macedonian-style. Try it – it’s a.may.zing!
WHAT IS CALIFORNIA CHICKEN SALAD?
But then, then, once upon a time (a loooong time ago…) I was introduced to a California Chicken Salad and the world stood still. It was the classic kind. The mayo-heavy one, sans lettuce, and it was kind of awesome.
Even better though? Ditching the mayo. Seriously. Besides, it looks like lard and that’s enough for me to look away. I haven’t had mayo in over 10+ years. Yogurt is my BFF. If you’ve known me for five minutes, you know this to be true. You love it, too?? See! I know what you like.
You know what else you might like?
Homemade and creamy yogurt salad dressing?! YES!
Cold, firm grapes? YEEEES!
Crunchy Celery? CHECK!
Green onions? HEY HEY!
Grilled chicken that you didn’t have to grill/bake/cook because your rotisserie chicken leftovers are so dang good?! And cooking on Monday should be illegal? HECK YEAH!
Well, then, let’s git ‘er done!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh new content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
California Chicken Salad with Creamy Yogurt Dressing
FOR THE SALAD
- 6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1- pound grilled chicken breast , cubed
- 1 cup seedless red grapes , halved, cold
- 2 apples , cored and chopped
- 2 stalks celery , thinly sliced
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only
- 1/3- cup coarsely chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc...)
FOR THE YOGURT DRESSING
- 1/3- cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3- cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4- cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, chicken, grapes, apples, celery, green onions and nuts; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper; whisk until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- If dressing is too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water; taste and adjust accordingly.
- Add salad dressing to chicken mixture.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.