Banana Coconut Cream Pie – Flavorful and luscious Cream Pie made with Cream of Coconut and Bananas.
Confession: I’m a BravoTV junkie. (I’ve confessed this to you thrice before) It’s my guilty pleasure. While everyone is talking about “The Walking Dead” and “Scandal”, I’m over here, like, “Did you see what Aviva said to Carol?”
Don’t worry, I’m also a news/politics/history junkie – it helps to offset the nonsense.
Wanna talk about Wolf Blitzer’s perfect hair-to-beard ratio?
Umm… somebody please come by and take away my TV.
Oh!Oh!Oh! Have you seen that show, The People’s Couch?? Oh my gosh! I SO belong on there. Can you imagine? Food Blogger on The People’s Couch, eating cream pies and Facebooking about said pie and Southern Charm. THAT right there equals ratings galore.
Aaaaaand 5 star-ratings = this Banana Coconut Cream Pie.
I love pies. I even have a Pinterest Board dedicated to ’em. I haven’t met a pie I didn’t like. But a cream pie is my weakness. On the other hand, anything creamy is my weakness. Ice cream, sour cream, cream pie, cream cream! The point I’m trying to make is that cream pie is happening today.
I made this pie for my Mommy. She’s been helping me out with my little ones, so I pay her back with food. Lots of it.
This creamy loveliness happens to be one of her most favorite pies. She inhaled 2 slices while she was at my house. On her way out, she took the pie plate with her. Later that night she called me to tell me that my pie was blog-worthy. 😀 She also stalks me on Facebook and sends me messages about what she’d like for dinner…
This is the pie that turned me into a pie eating person. It’s SO good. It’s 100-thousand times better than the store-bought stuff. Blah! If you want to welcome Spring properly, and Easter, make zee pie. It will blow you away. Betty Crocker knows what’s up!
Banana Coconut Cream Pie
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract you can also use coconut extract or banana extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a mixing bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter; mix until well blended.
- Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Spread coconut on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the toasted coconut, half-and-half, milk, cream of coconut and sugar; cook over medium heat and bring to a simmer. DO NOT BOIL.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch.
- Remove simmering milk mixture from heat.
- Pour 1 cup of milk mixture into yolk mixture while constantly whisking.
- Repeat the process; Pour 1 cup of milk mixture into yolk mixture while constantly whisking.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with simmering cream.
- Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until mixture simmers and thickens.
- Remove custard from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter and vanilla.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle sliced bananas over graham cracker crust.
- Pour the custard into the pie crust.
- Smooth top of custard and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, until filling is cold.
- In a large chilled bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar.
- Beat mixture on medium-high until soft peaks form.
- Spread over pie.
- Sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.