Packed with antioxidants and deliciously sweet variety of berries, seeds, and fruit toppings, you can make an Acai Bowl in minutes with just 5 ingredients. Learn how easy it is to make an Acai Bowl at home and enjoy this powerhouse of antioxidants anytime you want!
ACAI BOWLS: A HEALTHY BREAKFAST IDEA THAT TASTES LIKE DESSERT!
A perfectly balanced Acai Bowl filled with a generous amount of fruits, nuts, and healthy toppings; it is both deliciously satisfying and nutritious.
Acai Bowls taste like soft serve ice cream and we are here for it! 🙌 Around here, we LOVE smoothies and acai bowls, but there’s something so much more satisfying about eating your smoothie out of a bowl. Right?!
WHAT IS ACAI?
Acai Bowl, similar to smoothie bowls, are a Brazilian delicacy prepared with a mashed and frozen Acai berry that comes from the acai palm. The Acai berry is packed with antioxidants, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, said to boost immunity, prevent cell damage, and improve heart health.
Also, ACAI is not pronounced Ah-chai-ee. Nor is it Ah-kah-yee. It’s Ah-SIGH-ee. I learned that the fun way – I think the people at the Juice Café down the street are still laughing at me. With me?! 😊
HOW TO MAKE AN ACAI BOWL
I don’t know about in your neck of the woods, but around here an Acai Bowl can cost up to $14! 😳 Making one at home is much cheaper and it tastes just as good, if not better.
I was first introduced to these in Australia many moons ago, and now I try to make a bowl about 1 to 2 times a week. My kids love fruit, however, while one of them will eat fruit any time and every time, the other one will only eat fruit if it’s stirred into cereal or in a smoothie. Acai Bowls to the rescue – it works wonders with her!
- First thing is that you have to get yourself a packet of frozen acai berry puree. I get mine on Amazon or at Target, and the bags include 4 packets of puree, at 100 grams each.
- Next, get your blender out and throw in slices of banana, frozen berries, juice, yogurt, and acai puree. Process until completely blended. P.S. You can also use acai powder. 1 tablespoon acai powder = 1 packet.
- Pour blended acai into bowls and top with whatever you got; granola, fruits, berries, chia seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, etc… play with the toppings – it’s the fun part! BUT, don’t go overboard because those calories and sugars will increase real quick. 😃
- Finally, stick a spoon in it and wolf it down. It’s SO good! Creamy, fruity, sweet, healthy, satisfying, and super quick!
An Acai Bowl makes for a perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert! It’s a great alternative to ice cream when you’re craving that creamy, sweet amazingness really, really bad. 😋
ACAI BOWL TIPS
- Using frozen fruit is KEY. It’s what gives the bowl its signature thickness.
- The best part about an Acai Bowl is that you can make it completely your own, depending on what you have on hand. Frozen berries are not a must! You can use frozen mangoes, pineapple, kiwi, even peaches.
- Add in some kale or spinach, and you can also use different liquids like, milk, water, or nut milk.
HOW HEALTHY IS AN ACAI BOWL?
- Acai bowls are packed with vitamins, antioxidants, proteins, and other amazing nutrients, but they are also high in sugar because of all the fruit. Smoothies and acai bowls can easily add up those calories and contain twice as many grams of sugar as the daily recommendation. Just remember the good ol’ tip about all things in moderation. To keep the bowls healthier, consider using healthier toppings and don’t top with fruit.
CAN YOU MAKE ACAI BOWLS AHEAD OF TIME?
- Yes. I can get 2 to 3 servings out of this recipe; I eat one serving, and put the rest in the freezer for the coming days. I suggest to put the acai blend in mason jars – no toppings – and keep in the freezer.
- When ready, let the acai blend sit at room temperature until partially thawed; stir and serve.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES
- Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- Coffee Protein Smoothie
- Banana Kiwi and Kale Smoothie
- Green Berry Smoothie
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Packed with antioxidants and deliciously sweet variety of berries, seeds, and fruit toppings, you can make an Acai Bowl in minutes with just 5 ingredients.
- 1 frozen packet acai berry puree, 100 grams, broken into pieces (OR 1 tablespoon acai powder)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- honey or other sweetener, optional, to taste
- chopped pecans, sliced almonds, berries, coconut flakes, granola, chia seeds, sliced banana, etc...
- Add the acai berry packet, banana, berries, apple juice, and yogurt to a high powered blender; process until completely blended and smooth.
- Taste for sweetness and adjust accordingly. If you do add a sweetener, blend for a couple seconds to combine.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings, or enjoy as is.
- Serve immediately.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 6
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD
- Prepare the acai blend and pour into mason jars. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 days.
- When ready, take out a jar and let sit at room temperature until partially thawed; stir and serve.