Nacho Casserole made with layers of ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips and lots of cheese!!
I’m about to toot my own horn, but I made the best EVERRRR chocolate cake for his birthday. Double Chocolate Cake, that is. It’s almost better than the Black Magic Cake I made a few months back.
After everyone went to bed, I sat there contemplating whether I should pull out the 2 leftover slices and just inhale them. Eating chocolate-cake at night after everyone is in bed is SO wrong to do, but it feels soooooo right! And damn good!
We’ll come back to this cake in the coming days. Today is about this cheesy, delicious mess (in a good way) called Nacho Casserole. Aaaaand $300 at Amazon!! LUCKY YOU!
Apparently, Spring 2014 is stuck in November. I’m still wearing a coat and eating casseroles. A.K.A., comfort food.
Nachos remind me of 2004. It was like medicine that cured each hangover. What. a. remedy.
I’m no longer curing hangovers (cough), but I am curing everyone’s cravings for nachos. However, if someone other than myself tried to serve me nachos in casserole-form, I’d be like, what’s the diff??? But, there is a diff! More meat, more cheese, extra layers, baked… it’s different, I promise. It’s like a flavor explosion over here. Pinky swear!
Most of all, this is such an easy meal. You could use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef. However, we’re eating a bag of chips for dinner, so making this recipe a bit healthier might help, but I don’t think it’s happening. I decided to just embrace it for those days that calories do not count. Like, Sundays. Those are the Lord’s carbs and calories.
Don’t forget to top the casserole with tomatoes and avocado because all their healthiness will cancel out the tortilla chips and cheese sauce. And add a drizzle of hot sauce. It’s da bomb!
I always tell you this and I always mean it. Do yourself a flavor-favor and make this, stat! The family will thank you.
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED
Nacho Casserole made with layers of ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips and lots of cheese!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound 98% lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar divided
- 1/2 cup Shredded Monterey Jack
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- chopped tomatoes for serving
- avocado sliced, for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil In a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add beef; using a wooden spoon, break up the meat, and cook until the meat is browned and cooked through. Drain fat and return pan to the stove.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook 1 minute, then add tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and spices; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice, 1/2 cup cheddar, Monterey Jack cheese, and sour cream.
- Cover with tortilla chips and bake until top is golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make nacho cheese sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons flour and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in milk and bring to a simmer.
- When milk begins to thicken, stir in remaining 2 cups cheddar, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the casserole comes out of the oven, pour cheese sauce over the cooked chips. Garnish with green onions and drizzle with hot sauce.
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy