Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops – Delicious and easy to make healthy snack with kiwi fruit slices dipped in melted chocolate.
You know what they say, when life gives you fruit, dip it in chocolate!
Hi, internet friends!! Can I convince you to chat over an icy cold snack in April? ‘Cause I’m about TO. It’s almost MAY, you guys. That is wild. Before we know it, we will be swimming at the community pool, drinking Zimas, and eating Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops… High-Five!
But seriously. Kiwis on a stick. Like, what is going on. I’ve had this written up on my chalkboard (inside my head) for at least three years now, but never really got around to talking about it. I made ’em several times, but we ate them way before I could even think of snapping a pic.
Anyway, there’s a very important reason that you must know about these pops.
I was headed to my little one’s classroom party couple weeks back and was told to bring snacks. However, the order didn’t stop there. The teacher wrote, “bring a snack that is nut-free, allergen-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free”. I wrote back and asked if I could bring water bottles, and she wrote back with “LOL!” … she thought I was joking. I wasn’t.
So, knowing that my daughter would totally hate me if I brought Jell-O cups, yet again, I started chatting to myself and finally arrived at THIS option.
I picked up a bag of dairy-nut-egg-and-soy-FREE chocolate chunks (they do exist!) + 6 kiwis + popsicle sticks and gave myself a hug. I mean, the pressure of knowing that I could do some serious damage (GOD forbid) to a kid if I brought in the wrong snack was weighing heavy on me, you know?
But I’m not dramatic about it or anything.
OH! And before getting the kiwi fruits, I texted the teacher to make sure no one was allergic to those, either.
Good thing is that these are oh so delish! Really, they are. And the recipe is brilliantly simple, little kids can make it.
This is what you do: peel the kiwi, cut it up into three or four thicker slices, place a popsicle stick in each slice, and freeze ’em solid. Then, melt the chocolate chunks, cool the melted chocolate for a bit, dip the kiwi slices in the chocolate, and bam. We’re done.
P.S. Keep them frozen.
P.P.S. The school is a 7-minute drive for me, but these pops were still frozen solid 30-minutes later in a covered plastic container.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops
- 6 kiwi fruits , each peeled and sliced into thick slices (about 3 to 4 slices per kiwi)
- 1 bag (10-ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- popsicle sticks
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Place a popsicle stick in each kiwi slice and place on prepared baking sheet; freeze for about 2 hours, or until frozen solid.
- In the meantime, combine chocolate chunks and vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl; heat it on medium high for about 1 minute, remove and stir until completely melted. If it needs more, pop it in the microwave and heat it in 15 second intervals until completely melted.
- Remove from microwave and let stand few minutes.
- Dip each frozen kiwi pop into the chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl.
- Transfer the kiwi pops back on the cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and serve.