Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups – Simple, healthy and flavorful breakfast, brunch (even dinner!) recipe with eggs baked inside perfectly seasoned tomato cups.
Eggs!! It’s what’s for dinner!
Hi, you guuuuuuys! Happy Easter!! To those observing this Holy Day, Christ Is Risen!
Tell me; did you go to Church today? Or, perhaps an egg-hunt? Are you brunching right now? Are you about to? I’m very nosy.
Know what my weekend is really like? Yesterday, I woke up with the sharpest pain in my lower back, kind of like that pain you have before going into labor! Ugh! I could barely walk.
And no, I’m not in labor. Not even pregnant. But who knows!? Maybe I am. And I’ll end up on that show, “I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant”.
… is that show for reals?!
Anyhew. If you have ANY home remedies for crappy lower back pain, please do tell! Aleve is helping, but I hate pills.
Also? Do you have a few minutes? And some tomatoes and eggs? Of course you have eggs – it’s Easter!
Speaking of eggs and tomatoes. Have you noticed how the fewer ingredients a recipe has, the prettier it is? Simplicity always wins.
We ate these last week, way before the weekend even started. Not fair at all. We ate them 3 days in a row, which is kinda what happens every time I make them. If my back didn’t spaz out, I’d be in the kitchen right now making another batch.
For this simple baked eggs dish, I emptied out my wallet on a few tomatoes on the vine (why are they so expensive?!), but because eggs were cheap, it all worked out. However, when I realized that I was going to scoop out most of the tomatoes’ flesh, I quickly remembered their ugly price and saved their meaty flesh for another use. IF you join me tomorrow, you’ll see how I used them up in a chicken dish with olives.
I must tell you though that this SO would not be breakfast in my house. Maybe like, once in a blue moon. It just seems much more like a dinner-side-dish to me. Perhaps it’s because I grew up in a house that was raving MAD every morning before school. You were lucky to grab an apple. Or a granola bar, on a good day.
So the deal is – I’m not usually the one to have a super fancy breakfast, but if YOU are, please add these Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups to your breakfast menu. You will love ’em! Don’t forget, they work for dinner, too.
Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups Recipe
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/3- cup shredded reduced fat mild cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the tomatoes. Save the scooped out tomatoes for a different use.
- Place the tomato cups, cut side down, on a paper towel lined plate; let stand 10 minutes.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, in previously prepared muffin tin.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil inside each tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper, and a pinch of dried oregano inside each tomato.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and crack an egg inside each tomato cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until eggs are set. Bake 5 minutes longer if you do not like a soft/runny egg yolk.
- Add shredded cheese over each egg; bake for an additional 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.