This post is sponsored by STAR FINE FOODS, maker of awesome Olive Oils, Vinegars, glazes, capers, anchovies, onions, and the list goes ON and ON! Thank YOU, friends, for supporting the brands that make Diethood possible!
Tomato and Zucchini Frittata – Loaded with tomatoes, zucchini, basil and feta cheese, this easy frittata recipe fuses a range of flavors making it the perfect dish for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner.
Zucchini, how do I love thee?
Let me count the ways…
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach
when feeling out of sight…
*makes scratchy DJ noise* …my love ain’t that deep. But deep enough for me to serve it thrice in less than two weeks.
Hi-yah! And welcome! Very happy that you could make it! In case you forgot, today is Friday and Flashback Friday is about to happen. Ready?
Ahhhhh… That was MY Friday morning view, 3 weeks ago. OHRID, OH how I truly, TRULY LOVE thee! Until next time, you beautiful, ancient city, YOU!
Due to staring at pictures of my Macedonia vacation, I’ve been sort of off the grid lately, feeling nostalgic and inching closer to THIS time zone… jet lag, you suck!
Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Soooo, have you ever had fresh herbs-flavored olive oil? NO?! Please get awn’ that train, stat. My besties at STAR can hook you up. 😀
Annnnd since I am a devoted fan, I included their Olive Oil with Fresh Basil (love!!!!) in today’s recipe. I also drizzled the rest of that bottle all over my lunch-salads this entire week, treating myself to all the good things food has to offer.
A frittata (or is it an omelet? or crustless quiche, OR egg casserole!) is a very versatile recipe. You can serve it at any meal (this is why I love it the most!) and you can vary the vegetables according to taste. However, loading it up with all the green veggies (Hello zucchini!) that you can find is, in my opinion, the perfect solution for those “I hate veggies!” eaters. Besides, it’s just better this way. To eat zucchini and all other vegetables while we can, before losing ourselves in the upcoming pumpkin, caramel, chocolate, Fall FOOD deal. It’s just better.
Sometimes I make this Zucchini Frittata just for myself at around 3:12 pm, while I’m still alone in the house, “working”, just because I feel like it. The fact that I get to use my cast iron skillet is a bonus.
Also? Basics like this are why I love food. Dishes with fresh ingredients that people (ME) feel comfortable making? This breakfast/brunch/brinner meal is just that, in a nutshell.
Having a bottle of Ferran Adria’s Fresh Basil Olive Oil? Me so lucky! (It really is THAT good!).
Now that I’ve used up all my parentheses for the rest of the year, I have to say that this was well worth it.
STAR Basil Infused Olive Oil is available at select Raley’s, Save Mart and Food Lion stores and ONLINE.
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh and new content delivered to your inbox!
Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon STAR's Olive Oil with Fresh Basil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 small zucchini , cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat broiler to high.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet or a nonstick oven-safe skillet.
- Add garlic and zucchini slices; season with salt and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in fresh basil and feta cheese.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into skillet.
- Cook over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until eggs are set at the bottom.
- Broil in oven for 4 to 5 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes.