Who is on a diet? *Raises both hands*
Who hates being on a diet? *Raises both hands, feet, extra hips, and thighs*
This post-holiday weight issue is a bore. Unfair. Too much to handle. Speaking of handles – where did these things come from? My children can now hang on them! I can hide a few chips in there, too.
Thus in my desperate attempt to make those handles disappear and that extra jiggle to take a break, (we can reconnect next year) I have been trying to eat somewhat healthier. My go to snack is a handful of almonds and my lunch involves either a salad or a lettuce wrap. Dinner has been replaced with a bowl of cereal, and dessert… well, now, we can’t let go of everything. I still have dessert. 🙂
Few days ago I wanted to change things up a bit, so I went to my pantry and finally opened up that 4-pound bag of Quinoa that I bought at Costco last month. I actually like Quinoa because it’s versatile. I once made it with dried fruit and I couldn’t believe how good it was. Sometimes I will just add it to my leafy salad, or eat it plain with a good homemade dressing.
If you have never tried quinoa, give this recipe a go. I think you will love it. Feta and sun-dried tomatoes are a really good match for this grain, and the lemon vinaigrette pulls it all together nicely.
- 1½ cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 8 to 10 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried basil (if you have fresh basil, use 1 tablespoon chopped basil)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan combine the water and quinoa; bring to a vigorous boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff up with a fork.
- Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and mix in the sun dried tomatoes, feta, and basil.
- Make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl; whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa, toss, and serve.